1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to maintain batteries?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Scrowley91, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Scrowley91

Scrowley91 Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2014
    Old Anton-Bauer batteries were supposed to STAY on the charger when not in use, and that got me thinking, what's the proper method for the newer batteries in M4/3rd's cameras? Should I leave them on the charger? Should I deplete them if they are going to be left unused for a while, (like that will happen any time soon) and should I charge them when I get back after every outing, or just keep using them until they die and switch them out? (I have 5 of them, so that's not an issue)

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    • Like Like x 3
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Most of the rechargeable camera batteries are some form of lithium-ion battery.

-no need to leave it on the charger. A healthy lithium-ion should have a very low self discharge. If anything, if you have a dodgey charger; leaving it on the charger could overcharge and damage the battery. This is not an issue in a decent charger that terminates and shuts itself off properly.
    -If storing the battery for a long period of time, you should store it 1/2-2/3rd charged. It is not ideal to store it fully discharged. Store it somewhere cool.
    -It's probably better to recharge it before they batteries actually run out. Lithium-ion batteries will give you more cycles and last longer if you avoid deep discharges.
    -Heat is bad for life span batteries

4. kirschm

kirschm Mu-43 Regular

May 4, 2014
    Germany
    Li-Ion batteries should not be stored fully charged... best charging state is 1/2 full only... why?

Because the high voltage at 'almost full' level is not good for a Li-Ion... this is why most manufacturers ship their battery only 'half full'... The reason you find 'half full' batteries in you new gear is not self-discharging, but a little knowledge of the manufacturer...

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Oh I forgot to mention that your li-ion with slowly degrade with time whether you use it or not.

6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    50% charge, ziplock in a dry environment and place into a refrigerator (To avoid condensation inside the bag). Refresh charge yearly as the battery will slowly self discharge over time. That'll slow degradation over time if you *really* don't use a specific pack or need spares into the far future.

Otherwise, use them normally. Discharge them as you need to in your camera (Swap them out when the low battery warning comes on), swap the battery out and put in another one. Shallow discharge cycles are better for the battery.

7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Life is too hard already, why complicate it any further? The only thing I try to do is avoid extremely high temps and total discharge.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The best thing that you can do with batteries is to have only as many as you really need and rotate them regularly in the camera.