1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

how to keep my E-pm3 warm in Yellowknife

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CLO, Jan 4, 2014.

1. CLO

CLO New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2014
    I have an expected trip to yellowknife to see aurora, i will bring spare batteries but how do keep the camera at working temperature?
    wrap it in thick fleece with hand warmer???

any ideas? thanks!

2. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    u have e-pm3 ?

• Like Like x 2
  3. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    gr8Shot is right about the handwarmer and battery storage in an inside coatpocket. But, please CLO, tell us about your E-PM3...

5. mgs

mgs Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Matthew
    Pretty sure it was just a typo.

6. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Haven't had my E-M1 down that cold but I think you are on the right track. The camera will operate fine at low temps, the battery is the issue. You don' want to discover the battery has gotten too cold after you've been out for hours & the aurora suddenly shows up.

When its really cold, I rubber band a chemical hand warmer onto the end of the camera w/ the battery compartment. Also turn off every thing you can, IS, AF, AF assist light, etc.

CLO, what lens will you be using?

• Like Like x 1
  7. langer318

langer318 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    The camera seems to work fine in cold temps. I had it out today in about -15f. But I did notice the autofocus is very slow ay those temps.

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, I'm sure most of us know that. :wink:

9. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    Don't forget to put your camera in a large Zip Lock Bag when you go back indoors.
    To Protect it from Condensation

- 33° C ? Brrrrrrrr

• Like Like x 1
  10. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

First you must be aware of your camera's operating temperature specification (not storage). As an example, an Olympus E-PL5 has an operating range of 32-104 degrees F (0-40 degrees C). Few digital cameras are capable of operating in very cold conditions. That doesn't mean you can't use a camera in the winter, of course.

I keep my camera in a cooler. A small lunch sized cooler is perfect for an E-PL5 or similar camera with a kit zoom (I now use an EOS M with 22mm). You could place a hand warmer in there if you like but I have found that I can keep a camera in a cooler warm for many hours. I pull the camera out to use it quickly and then back in. This is also a great way to store the camera in the car if you must leave it there for a while in the cold weather.

Since external carry of a sophisticated camera is not practical. I suggest using a frost-proof camera like a Nikon AW100 which can operate down to 15 degrees F.

In the winter, you discover the true value of a pocket sized compact camera as this is primarily the best way to get pictures in the frigid temps. I use my Canon S110 almost exclusively for outdoor walkabouts in the cold. I keep the whole "rig" in my interior pocket, whip it out for a shot and back in to keep it warm. Works great.

Cheers.

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    And, conversely, this is a good way to protect your camera from the heat in a hot car.

12. CLO

CLO New to Mu-43

Jan 4, 2014
    yes, it was a typo.

Thanks for all the advices, i made an metal extension to the head that i dont need to unscrew the camera from the head when changing battery, just open the battery compartment cover.

To keep the camera warm, I will use a sleeve of an old jacket, small end of the sleeve for the lens, shoulder end for the screen viewing and contriol; with elastic cords to hold positon, and stuff a chemcial hand warmer, wrapped in sock, inside the sleeve. An old nylon hood to cover the whole thing when it is not using.

lens, 9-18mm WA and kit lens as back up. Ziploc of course! small led torch, microfiber sheets.

did i miss anything......

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Typo... yeah right... more like a time traveller who brought the closest camera available for our time period...