How to justify multiple bodies?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Mattr, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    I'm calling on the brethren here to help me. I'm with funds to afford an E-M5 body/E-P5 body. However I only bought my E-P3 in August! They were cheap whilst Oly ran them out for the E-P5.

My question its how do you justify two bodies? This may need to go to the household's CFO ;)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mu-43 mobile app
  2. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    For social events, celebrations and family gatherings opportunities for certain shots are fleeting. I want to be ready for any situation to shoot different focal lengths and not miss a shot while changing lenses.

She said go for it when you can swing it.
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    It's one of this forum's mantras: it is better to apologize later than ask permission first (or something like that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    • Like Like x 3
  4. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    if you only shoot primes then, you need a second body. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    My wife and I both have multiple cameras :)
  6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Do you need two bodies, or would it be nice/fun/etc.? Would the funds be better put to use in a lens? What does your ep3 not have that the others do? Not to rain on your parade, but just because you may have the money doesnt mean it is a wise investment. Ask yourself Why? and that answer should tell you enough to get it or not.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app
  7. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    For me, it came down to what I wanted to use them for. I like shooting with 25-50mm primes, but that can mean I miss out on a shot that would require a wider angle--I considered getting a smaller body with a 14mm to go alongside my OM-D for a long time. In the end I got an LX7 instead (covered my wide-angle needs, and lets me still have a good camera at concerts when the bouncers get huffy about interchangeable lenses), and I've found an enthusiast compact made a good "sidearm" when paired with higher-end M43 bodies like the E-P3 or OM-D.

But this forum is definitely about enabling each other, to some extent... You could do what I did, and give the old body to a partner or friend (my girlfriend got a mint-condition OM-D the day the GX7 was released, so I can't pretend to be a good influence!) Just make sure you can describe to yourself why you would use one differently than the other, or why it's an important upgrade, I guess.
  8. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I justify two bodies because the 7.5mm fisheye is a niche lens but I like to use it frequently...but at the same time, not have to change lenses when out and about.

So, the fisheye is 'glued' onto my EPM1 and I use the GF1 for the Sigma 19/2.8 or 14-42.

Basically, I end up using the fisheye more frequently because it is already prefocused...I just need to grab it out of the bag, shoot, then put it away.

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet using Mu-43 mobile app
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm with KAdam on a "serious compact" as a second body. I've done the smaller m4/3 body along side my E-M5, but found I didn't use it all that much. The idea always sounded good to me, but practical application was lacking. Conversely, my RX100 gets used a lot
  10. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    "Less painful to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission"-8th century
    Catholic priest talking to God about his weak moment with a local barmaid
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, my E-PL5 has the better sensor and low ISO performance, as well as built in IBIS, and my Panasonic G5 is well behaved with my 20mm and 7-14mm lenses and has a good grip to balance longer lenses, and an electronic shutter when I need absolute quiet and/or a shutter shock workaround.

A more interesting question is how I justify keeping my E-PL2 since I got the E-PL5 to accompany my G5. That basically comes down to, it would sell for so little (less than $150 net to me) that I might as well keep it as a spare or backup or to take where I might be shooting in dodgy weather or a high crime area. Also, as it's bright red, it's prettier than my two better newer bodies - and some day I might give it away as a gift.

GAS is good.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    If you only have one body then you automatically need two.

I like both Oly and Lumix bodies for different reasons. I kid myself all that I dont need 2 or 3 bodies because I probably don't, but it's fun and I love taking pictures and playing with cameras so I imagine if/when I sell one it is only to buy another.

I also think having more than one body gives you a better understanding of the functionality of either body.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    Thank you all. I had another thought after posting and I'm going to look up creative photography or post processing courses. The last formal learning I did in this game was about 15 years ago on a City & Guilds course. Perhaps its time to upgrade me rather than my Kit?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Answer : two lenses.

Other answer : :tongue: Two?
    You're calling a puny TWO bodies "multiple"!

Oh I see : you're under the thumb. Never mind.
    Buy what you're permitted to buy and stick with your e-P3 until then.
  15. Qiou87

Qiou87 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2013
    Paris, France
    I'd be inclined to agree with what most people said here (it's more convenient, you don't have to switch lenses). Truth be told since I got the E-M5 I have started to use the E-PL3 I had before less and less. The sensor is miles behind (I like to play a little with the RAW files and the newer 16Mpx files are much more versatile), there's no EVF and the controls are not as friendly (no dials on top, no touch screen...). I still use it a little, when travelling (Samyang 7,5mm fisheye stays on it so I don't get dust on the sensors and use it a bit more than if I had to mount it on the E-M5 for just this one shot) or when shooting small family/friends events where the bigger E-M5 would not fit in my small shoulder bag.

All in all I feel like I would want a smaller second body (GM1...) or just something with the same sensor as my E-M5 (E-PL5, I like the new flip-screen for self-portraits as well). Having two bodies that are so different in terms of output means I just usually take the time to switch lenses to take advantage of the better camera, negating all benefits of having a second body.

As such my advice would be to aim for a second body that is of the same generation as the primary one. If the gap between the two is too great, or if they're just too similar (size, features...) you might end up using the better body all the time.
  16. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Exiled From Hyperborea
    I know that n+1 is always the correct answer, but, to be perfectly honest, I feel the coming of digital has freed me of the need to carry two bodies. I do carry two cameras most of the time (three, if you include my Lumia phone), but I'll come back to that.

I used to shoot black & white in my OM-1 and colour in my OM-40, but it was a big deal going out shooting. For much of that time, I was with a partner who used to often suggest 'taking the cameras for a walk'. She had a KR10, and an artist's eye. She also had the P30 I'd bought her, but rarely touched it. I bought my first Minox for 'everyday' shooting.

As I got into rangefinders (at a time when it was hard to get hold of decent kit), I shot mono with my Kiev (which had alternative lenses), and colour with my Zorki (which didn't). Even with the more compact dimensions of the RFs, it was still a conscious decision to take (or, more often, not take) the cameras with me.

Getting into digital meant that I could just take my 5MP Minox with me everywhere, and that meant I got more, and better, shots. With my redundancy money, i bought a lovely DSLR. But it sat in its bag at home, going nowhere.

With the G11, I was free again - something light, compact, easy to carry everywhere, and always in my barbag or the top of my rucksack, when it wasn't in my hand. And a great deal of my shots are in b&w again. The mu-43 is an extension of that. It's a do-everything camera, and a daily carry. If I had another body, it'd sit gathering dust, like some of my other cameras do.

And those other cameras? Almost exclusively 35mm rangefinders. I tend to carry one in the other part of the small camera bag, so I have the choice of film if I want that. But that's still less to carry than another digital body.

I can see the reasoning above that some cameras seem to suit some lenses better. OK. But, as with bikes, I like to have one versatile machine that I know intimately, and can work with instinctively. Sure, I've had to compromise as I couldn't afford the body I wanted, but, when I trade up, I know I will be happily selling on the EPL1 to fund the new one. I shan't feel bereft without a second body, and I don't have much sentimental attachment to digital cameras, as I do for my film ones (with the exception of the Minox DC5211, which was lovely to look at and lovely to use).
  17. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I used to use the argument one for negative and one for slide film but that doesn't apply any longer, of course.
  18. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Different sizes of bodies depending on what I'm doing. Although honestly the EM5 is small enough for everything. If I'm shooting an event I will have two cameras on me.
    GH3 has wifi so I use that for photo shoots. OMD has IBIS so I use that for everything else. GX1 is relatively compact without the EVF. EPL1 is full spectrum. If you're using film, different cameras have different backs. If you're using different systems you have different lenses. If you shoot in the rain you won't want to change lenses so maybe it's good to have a couple bodies there. You can give one to a friend to borrow. You have a backup in case one breaks. I'm not sure how many cameras I have. Probably 8.
  19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'll repeat [more or less] what I just wrote in another thread:

Will adding a second body do as much for your photography as buying a new lens will? When have you been limited by having only one body, or by the body you have now? Would buying the lens now make a bigger difference than a new body?

We all tend to be gear hounds, always wanting the latest and greatest (me included), but unless our existing body(ies) are really preventing us from getting the images we want, lenses have far more impact on our images than bodies do.

If money's not an issue, then having multiple bodies gives you lots of options. A larger body with more controls for more serious work, and a compact body for more casual use. A backup body in case one fails during a once in a lifetime photo op. Keeping both a wide angle and a normal or tele lens mounted so you're not always changing lenses.

But if money is a factor, as it is for most of us, I'm not convinced a second body is the best use of limited money for most people.
  20. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    There's still good reasons to have both an Olympus and a Panasonic body if you're in this system with a broad range of lenses:

The Olympus bodies still have better IBIS and better sensors up and down the line, but Panasonic bodies are still better behaved with certain Panasonic lenses (20mm, 7-14mm) and have electronic shutters.

If I could get an Olympus body that didn't have issues with these two lenses, and a better mechanism than delay to deal with shutter shock, or a Panasonic body that had really effective IBIS as well as a leading edge sensor, I'd be good to go with one body - at least as a primary shooter, rather than purely as a backup. It doesn't yet exist.