1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to install and run Android Apps

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, May 8, 2011.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    on a Vista computer?
    What kind of software to install (plse downloadlink), I like to preview the Android Apps before downloading and installing on mobile phone(s).

2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    all the time you spending to do it this why wouldn't you just download it to your phone then delete if you don't like it?

3. Kade.Sirin

Kade.Sirin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2010
    Las Vegas
    As far as I know, the best way is to simply install the app onto your phone and uninstall it.

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks guys for your replies, infortunately it did not answer my clear question.
    I wanna be able to download and run Android Apps on a Vista computer.
    Guess it's possible, don't know (yet) how.

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Vista is an operating system that runs applications designed to run under Windows. Android is an operating system that runs applications designed to run under Android. Apple iOS is an operating system that runs applications designed to run under iOS.

Running applications not native to an OS requires an emulator. These are generally complex, slow, and difficult to deal with. To your direct question, the Android SDK includes an emulator that will run on Windows: Using the Android Emulator | Android Developers

Trust me, it will be easier to preview on your phone -- especially if you aren't familiar with using an SDK which, from the way you asked your question, is probably the case..

6. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    Using the Android emulator it's probably possible.
    I don't know if you can install it without the Android SDK which is huge and complicate for non-developers.

7. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
  8. Saelee

Saelee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2011
    Not worth it trying to install it on your computer. I know amazon has a virtual android phone on their website.

I toyed with doing that myself as well. I got it to work but it is not stable at all. A lot of the function don't work either like the one from amazon, like typing and zooming. I only did it to say that I did it.

As what others have said, it will be quicker to install it on your phone and test it out their.
    If you want the challenge and try to install it on your computer for the heck of it go ahead but don't think it will save you time.