How to increase grip on Olympus pro zoom ring?

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I have two Olympus pro zooms, 12-40/2.8 and 12-100/4.
They both have the same problem.
The zoom ring is metal. When my hand gets sweaty, I start to loose my grip on the zoom ring. And this is made worse because of the drag of the zoom ring.
I am constantly wiping my hand on my pants or towel, trying to dry it enough to maintain enough grip on the zoom ring.
I never had this problem with the rubber grip on the Nikon zooms.

Does anyone know of a rubber or other material to wrap around the zoom ring to maintain grip with sweaty hands?
And how to attach it, if not adhesive backed.

Joris

Mu-43 Veteran
Well, a simple elastic rubber band of the right size ? Alternatively, use an aluminium chloride anti sweat stick on your hands and fingers :)

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
I have two Olympus pro zooms, 12-40/2.8 and 12-100/4.
They both have the same problem.
The zoom ring is metal. When my hand gets sweaty, I start to loose my grip on the zoom ring. And this is made worse because of the drag of the zoom ring.
I am constantly wiping my hand on my pants or towel, trying to dry it enough to maintain enough grip on the zoom ring.
I never had this problem with the rubber grip on the Nikon zooms.

Does anyone know of a rubber or other material to wrap around the zoom ring to maintain grip with sweaty hands?
And how to attach it, if not adhesive backed.
You can find a lot of Zoom ring rubber, on ebay like this you may have to search for one close to the size of your lenses. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-L...809121?hash=item2ad6a5afe1:g:jE0AAOSwmftdGcBf

ac12

Mu-43 Legend

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
If you like broccoli you may be in luck. The bands that are used to group stalks together are like gold to me. I save them to use in all sorts of odd situations just like this one.

Who says lenses don't grow on trees?
IMG_3594.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
This was my McGyver solution...similar to Hendrik's.

ranger_bands.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I think I found an interesting alternative.
I went in for a blood test, and they used an elastic bandage that they wrapped around my arm, and it stuck to itself. hmmmm
And it has a rough texture. Perfect for when my hand/fingers get sweaty.
I need to go to the drug store to get a roll of it to try.

Real Name
Walter
I went in for a blood test, and they used an elastic bandage that they wrapped around my arm, and it stuck to itself. hmmmm
Hey @ac12, I think this is what you're looking for.
3M - 27119 Coban Self- Adherent Wrap, 1"x 5yds, Pack of 5 Rolls
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CX1SJTJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Q3NQMFY1PRQA2G27S9H9

I don't find those wraps to be particularly grippy though.

However, I think just a large wide rubber band around the zoom ring ought to do the trick. Can probably find this at the office supply store, or as another has noted, getting them from grocery store. :)

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Hey @ac12, I think this is what you're looking for.
3M - 27119 Coban Self- Adherent Wrap, 1"x 5yds, Pack of 5 Rolls
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CX1SJTJ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Q3NQMFY1PRQA2G27S9H9

I don't find those wraps to be particularly grippy though.

However, I think just a large wide rubber band around the zoom ring ought to do the trick. Can probably find this at the office supply store, or as another has noted, getting them from grocery store. :)

I have not found WIDE rubber bands.
But maybe using 3 of them side-by-side might work.
I'll check with the produce guy at the local grocery store and the office supply store.

I was using the 12-100 the other day, and was reminded of why I like the Nikon 70-200. The Olympus metal zoom ring was slippery and I had to GRIP the zoom ring, compared to the Nikon rubber grip where I did not have to GRIP the zoom ring to turn it.

Mike.K

Mu-43 Regular
Electricians use a tape called self amalgamating tape, available in several widths, It stretches and will bond to itself. They use it to seal off cable exiting out of electrical boxes from the elements.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Found it on Amazon.
I think I will try a roll.
The stuff works quite well (for sealing wires). I imagine if you really take your time you can make it effectively work on the ring as well. The stuff does still pretty well to itself and the beauty is that it won’t stick to the ring at all. It helps to stretch it when you make contact with itself.

Latest threads

Top Bottom