how to Improve 2 stop Better High iso and color rendition from our OMD

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
Hi from Italy , excuse me for my english,

I hope you can take a look and share to all this community for a comprensive explanation for other user in Facebook ,your blog or even Dpreview for share at maximum this preset,and what performance become possible opening a raw with the right conversion.
(it's a preset found in dpreview made by erik with detail panel edited by me) It regard the color rendition of the em1 so raw files look very similar to the muted jpg OOC and improve minimum 2 stop better low and high iso performance without loose fine details.It can be a good starting point .

A raw files is like a language,to be translated it need a good tranlator who know how to translate that language,lightroom,camera raw and all generic raw converter doesn't know exactly how translate raw from different camera,and ,using a generic profile there are a lot of world that are wrong translated,I mean colors,tone, and luminosity of eatch slider in HSL but IF we "teach to lightroom how to translate the raw that come from our camera,the translation become better.
A special rule is about the detail panel,I've own a lot of cameras with top prime lenses from canon to nikon apsc and FF but every single raw file from olympus look much sharper than other system.
Can be all m4/3 lenses so better than FF lenses? I think no,so why? because the standard parameters in adobe are too aggressive starting to squeeze sharpness like a sensor that have optical low pass filter,so you can have 2 approatch:
1 start to open orf raw with sharpness set to zero ( it seem the 100% crops look even sharper than other system opened at 25) with the advantage a lot of apparent noise at low iso disappear
2 use a compromise:a bit of sharpening for small details and low level for big detail,with a small amount of noise reduction ,how much? enough for keep the small detail visible
,and let try squeeze small detail with the second slide
For example:
Detail Panel in Acr and Lightroom :
Sharpness 15
Radius 0.7
Mask 40

Noise reduction

noise reduction luminance from 10 to 25( in relation at higher iso)
detail 65-75,

at the end we can restore a natural texture made of fine casual grain using add grain in the effect panel
Amount 15-20
Dimension 50
Noise 20

all these variation are accessible in lightroom and camera raw...and it is possible if we like this starting point to set lightroom and acr to apply automatically the preset ,and do the necessary expousure/contrast regolation for personal taste,but it is very convenient have a better color reproduction even with white balance as shot

Please share as much possible
I've done some comparison even with the nikon d750 and using the detail panel as I do,you will keep at 90% the same sharpness and noise at 100% crops
All I have described here is valid for all raw files,but the em1 need a lot of correction in color rendition,the em5 nedd less tweack
remember it is only a starting point,and if possible it's a better solution expose to the right at limit of burning high light and get low in lightroom as necessary.

This is the list of color tweack ONLY for the em1
301.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

here my starting point about the detail panel ,with a bit of grain added
PANNELLO DETTAGLI.JPG

Now take a lokk at this pics taken at iso 3200 with f1.2 aperture in bad light
3.JPG

and the crop with my detail settings
4.JPG

The detail are perfect retained! please try and share as much possible

3.JPG

4.JPG

Luca Bertolaso
Bye Bye!

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
for the em1 even without touch the wb the skin tones improve

Attachments

• 304.JPG
    304.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 692

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
60.JPG
61.JPG
62.JPG
64.JPG

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
Cattura8.JPG
Cattura10.JPG
Cattura11.JPG
Cattura12.JPG
Cattura13.JPG

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
with my settings Iso 1600 and push shadow to 100% with em1 and canon 5dmk3
120.JPG
123.JPG
124.JPG

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
Cattura40.JPG
Cattura41.JPG
iso 10000

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
em1 Vs sony A7S at iso 3200!!
10001.JPG
10002.JPG
10005.JPG

Attachments

• 10006.JPG
    10006.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 445

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
iso 3200 sony A7S
10006.JPG

palombasso

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice starting point. I made a preset and am trying it with my GX7 (some say it has a similar sensor to em1).

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Are you starting out with the Camera Muted profile or Adobe Default profile for colour? Adobe Default is rubbish so I tend to just use the Olympus profiles with reduced red saturation under camera calibration, haven't decided on whether greens need to be tweaked to be less yellow yet.

The noise reduction settings confuse me a little, where do the 2 stops of improved noise come from? I've known since my E-M5 that the defaults in Adobe are rubbish, so I actually always fine tune my noise reduction settings for different cameras. The E-M1 definitely requires less sharpening than the E-M5.

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
Are you starting out with the Camera Muted profile or Adobe Default profile for colour? Adobe Default is rubbish so I tend to just use the Olympus profiles with reduced red saturation under camera calibration, haven't decided on whether greens need to be tweaked to be less yellow yet.

The noise reduction settings confuse me a little, where do the 2 stops of improved noise come from? I've known since my E-M5 that the defaults in Adobe are rubbish, so I actually always fine tune my noise reduction settings for different cameras. The E-M1 definitely requires less sharpening than the E-M5.

starting frome adobe standard..

Just speacking in terms of sharpness
the raw files from em5 classic is not different from the em1...in fact I've wrote 2stop better high iso from our omd's ...the improvement comes from the detail panel because lightroom have no idea in how to open a sony raw files,a canon raw,a pepentax raw...and use the generic parameters in default acr are wrong for our sensor....if you compare any raw opened in acr with standard parameters look sharper than ff ones...miracle of oly cheap lens?no,simply the converter need to be calibrate for an adeguate compromise between detail and noise. ...if someone can post a side by side 100% crop where the em1 look sharper than the E-M5 i will appreciate a lot because I've shot half million pics with both and I've never found sharpness difference

Last edited:

maritan

Mu-43 Veteran
I have a few pictures that I can definitely try these settings on. Thanks for sharing!

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
How can I load 4 preset here?so it's very easy try the rendition...if someone want write me at fotostart@libero.it I will send the preset for the em5 that is different for colors

maritan

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't how you can upload presets here, but I'm going to send you an email for the EM1 presets in a few minutes here.

Timos L

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Timos :)
Very interesting post. Have you found these settings for E-M1 and E-M5 by "try and error"? At the moment I have a panasonic G6 and would like to apply something similar. I use LR 5.

bartender1981

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Luca Bertolaso
I've notice every FF camera I've tried provide less sharp raw...so its easy get similar result getting down sharpness standard point that is 25 ...and it is too much for omd sensors

Latest threads

Top Bottom