1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

how to Improve 2 stop Better High iso and color rendition from our OMD

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bartender1981, May 15, 2015.

1. bartender1981

bartender1981 Mu-43 Regular

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    Hi from Italy , excuse me for my english,

I hope you can take a look and share to all this community for a comprensive explanation for other user in Facebook ,your blog or even Dpreview for share at maximum this preset,and what performance become possible opening a raw with the right conversion.
    (it's a preset found in dpreview made by erik with detail panel edited by me) It regard the color rendition of the em1 so raw files look very similar to the muted jpg OOC and improve minimum 2 stop better low and high iso performance without loose fine details.It can be a good starting point .

A raw files is like a language,to be translated it need a good tranlator who know how to translate that language,lightroom,camera raw and all generic raw converter doesn't know exactly how translate raw from different camera,and ,using a generic profile there are a lot of world that are wrong translated,I mean colors,tone, and luminosity of eatch slider in HSL but IF we "teach to lightroom how to translate the raw that come from our camera,the translation become better.
    A special rule is about the detail panel,I've own a lot of cameras with top prime lenses from canon to nikon apsc and FF but every single raw file from olympus look much sharper than other system.
    Can be all m4/3 lenses so better than FF lenses? I think no,so why? because the standard parameters in adobe are too aggressive starting to squeeze sharpness like a sensor that have optical low pass filter,so you can have 2 approatch:
    1 start to open orf raw with sharpness set to zero ( it seem the 100% crops look even sharper than other system opened at 25) with the advantage a lot of apparent noise at low iso disappear
    2 use a compromise:a bit of sharpening for small details and low level for big detail,with a small amount of noise reduction ,how much? enough for keep the small detail visible
    ,and let try squeeze small detail with the second slide
    For example:
    Detail Panel in Acr and Lightroom :
    Sharpness 15
    Radius 0.7
    Mask 40

Noise reduction

noise reduction luminance from 10 to 25( in relation at higher iso)
    detail 65-75,

at the end we can restore a natural texture made of fine casual grain using add grain in the effect panel
    Amount 15-20
    Dimension 50
    Noise 20

all these variation are accessible in lightroom and camera raw...and it is possible if we like this starting point to set lightroom and acr to apply automatically the preset ,and do the necessary expousure/contrast regolation for personal taste,but it is very convenient have a better color reproduction even with white balance as shot

Please share as much possible
    I've done some comparison even with the nikon d750 and using the detail panel as I do,you will keep at 90% the same sharpness and noise at 100% crops
    All I have described here is valid for all raw files,but the em1 need a lot of correction in color rendition,the em5 nedd less tweack
    remember it is only a starting point,and if possible it's a better solution expose to the right at limit of burning high light and get low in lightroom as necessary.

This is the list of color tweack ONLY for the em1
    301.JPG
    here my starting point about the detail panel ,with a bit of grain added
    PANNELLO DETTAGLI.JPG

Now take a lokk at this pics taken at iso 3200 with f1.2 aperture in bad light
    3.JPG

and the crop with my detail settings
    4.JPG

The detail are perfect retained! please try and share as much possible

3.JPG
    4.JPG

Luca Bertolaso
    Bye Bye!

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Appreciate x 1
  2. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    for the em1 even without touch the wb the skin tones improve

Attached Files:

• 304.JPG
      304.JPG
      File size:
      98 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
  4. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
  5. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    with my settings Iso 1600 and push shadow to 100% with em1 and canon 5dmk3
    120.JPG 123.JPG 124.JPG

6. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    Cattura40.JPG Cattura41.JPG iso 10000

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    em1 Vs sony A7S at iso 3200!!
    10001.JPG 10002.JPG 10005.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    iso 3200 sony A7S 10006.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    Try and share in Dpreview or other photo blogs

10. palombasso

palombasso Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    Nice starting point. I made a preset and am trying it with my GX7 (some say it has a similar sensor to em1).

• Like Like x 1
  11. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Thanks for sharing. Gotta try it when I have the time... :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Great works, thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you starting out with the Camera Muted profile or Adobe Default profile for colour? Adobe Default is rubbish so I tend to just use the Olympus profiles with reduced red saturation under camera calibration, haven't decided on whether greens need to be tweaked to be less yellow yet.

The noise reduction settings confuse me a little, where do the 2 stops of improved noise come from? I've known since my E-M5 that the defaults in Adobe are rubbish, so I actually always fine tune my noise reduction settings for different cameras. The E-M1 definitely requires less sharpening than the E-M5.

14. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I'd be curious to see color settings for EM5 if you have them

15. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    starting frome adobe standard..

Just speacking in terms of sharpness
    the raw files from em5 classic is not different from the em1...in fact I've wrote 2stop better high iso from our omd's ...the improvement comes from the detail panel because lightroom have no idea in how to open a sony raw files,a canon raw,a pepentax raw...and use the generic parameters in default acr are wrong for our sensor....if you compare any raw opened in acr with standard parameters look sharper than ff ones...miracle of oly cheap lens?no,simply the converter need to be calibrate for an adeguate compromise between detail and noise. ...if someone can post a side by side 100% crop where the em1 look sharper than the E-M5 i will appreciate a lot because I've shot half million pics with both and I've never found sharpness difference

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  16. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I have a few pictures that I can definitely try these settings on. Thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
  17. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    How can I load 4 preset here?so it's very easy try the rendition...if someone want write me at fotostart@libero.it I will send the preset for the em5 that is different for colors

• Like Like x 1
  18. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I don't how you can upload presets here, but I'm going to send you an email for the EM1 presets in a few minutes here.

19. Timos L

Timos L Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    Timos :)
    Very interesting post. Have you found these settings for E-M1 and E-M5 by "try and error"? At the moment I have a panasonic G6 and would like to apply something similar. I use LR 5.

20. bartender1981

May 15, 2015
    Luca Bertolaso
    I've notice every FF camera I've tried provide less sharp raw...so its easy get similar result getting down sharpness standard point that is 25 ...and it is too much for omd sensors