How to identify if GM1 is PAL or NTSC?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by trakmasterrs, Aug 21, 2014.

1. trakmasterrs

trakmasterrs Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014
    Hi, I just purchased this Lumix GM1 from Amazon in the US and I think they may have sent me a non US version. On the box it actually says PAL on one of the stickers and also in the menu for video recording, it appears that its settings for PAL as well. I guess I just need a second opinion that I did get a PAL version and not the NTSC one so I can complain to Amazon and get a replacement. The seller from Amazon at the time of purchase was "Web Offers". This was a body only purchase as well. Any thoughts? Or sure way to tell?

2014-08-21 01.47.09.jpg

2014-08-21 01.44.23.jpg
  2. Viktor1135

Viktor1135 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 23, 2014
    Just when you thought we'd buried regional AV formats for ever..

PAL and NTSC are 'shorthand' for 50Hz and 60Hz refresh rates respectively.

There's a regulatory requirement for all European HD/HD Ready AV kit to support both 50hZ and 60Hz.

US AV kit might not as I don't believe there are/were many 50Hz AV sources in North America.

Have you tried linking the camera to your TV/display?
  3. LeftyRodriguez

LeftyRodriguez Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Did it come with a warranty card with matching serial? That would indicate if it was warrantable in the US or not. That said, since this wasn't sold by Amazon but by a third-part (indicated by "web offers"), it sounds like the third-party is selling grey-market items and trying to pass them off as US items. I'd send it back if you're worried about warranty and/or need 60p.
  4. trakmasterrs

trakmasterrs Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014
    Update, I just finished chatting with Amazon customer support (amazing staff btw) and explained the whole situation and they just issued me a refund for it. They couldn't expedite my replacement order because non of the Body only models were sold by them. So I opted to not buy from Amazon being that it's a hit or miss again if I order through the next merchant (their feedback wasn't good as well...seems they follow the same practice of repacking cameras which were originally sold as kits) I'm going to end up buying it locally at San Jose Cameras, suck it up and get the full kit lens version and then doing the legwork to sell that 12-32mm lens on eBay or some other venue. At least this way I'll know I have a legit non-grey model.