1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How To: GX7 software update

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ricoh, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I was expecting a software loader on one of the DVDs that came with the camera (like Olympus provide), but that's not the case. The procedure described on Panasonic's support site is to download the latest version to the route directory on a SD card, then having transferred the card to the camera, press the play button.

1st time for me so a few questions please if someone would be kind enough to answer:
    / I've formatted the card in the Camera, do I need to do this again in the computer (W8.1);
    / Do I somehow need to direct the download to the route directory on the card (and how do I do that);
    / Do I need to disconnect the lens from the camera;

Are there any key points I've missed here?

Many thanks.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nah, just download the file, drag and drop on the card in the top lev el directory.

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks for the reply tkbslc.
    No need to disconnect the lens?

4. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    No need to disconnect the lens.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks Darren.
    Presumably the camera is clever enough when the SD card contains software to update a given lens. I won't be trying both at once.

6. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    That's correct, you can update lens in the same way, I've never done both at the same time either.

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks for that. Yeah, two in one is a step too far!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    It's a really simple exercise, well thought out and implemented by Panasonic. I wonder why Olympus chose the need for a physical connection?
    Panasonic deserve a Gold star.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Ummm, a few points to note.

No loader program is required

1. Only one firmware update at a time on the card (according to the instructions I found on Pana Japanese Global site.)
    2. Copy and paste, NOT drag and drop (especially if using a Mac.). I had a problem with this and their Call Center informed me about it.
    3. After formatting the card, take a photo. They recommend this to avoid getting unnecessary calls. Without a photo after firmware is loaded and camera reboots, you'll get a message, something like "no valid file to display". Some interpret this as a failed update.
    4. Most important, you need to start the process with a fully charged battery.
    5. Loading times vary - lens ~ 20-50 seconds. Body firmware can take up to 5 minutes. The update bar may temporarily "stop" - be patient!

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks for the tips!

11. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Error - didn't mean to post again, so cut the text, it was meant for another thread.