How to go about selling equipment

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by judywisconsin, Jul 28, 2013.

1. judywisconsin

judywisconsin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I'll give it a try anyway.

I've become convinced I will never return to a "fat" DSLR system. I love my OMD, & the old stuff is just too big & heavy to carry.

I have a pretty complete system of a Canon 60D. I'm looking on advice on how to sell it. I don't think I want to do the eBay route - don't want to have the hassle of shipping & worrying about payments. What have all of you done? Or have you decided to keep both systems?

My camera shop may take in used equipment (I'm checking on that tomorrow) - but I may have to take the proceeds in store credit. If I do, I am tempted to pick up a second body. Then the decision would be to get another OMD, or something less expensive. Guess that's another topic.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I sell lots of stuff on eBay, and it's not that hard. In over 200 sales I've had one small problem with payment, and I eventually got my money. You do have to pay the eBay tax though, which can eat into your profit.

I also have sold stuff through the marketplace here, which is my preferred method. No commission (except for PayPal), and you know the stuff is going to a real photographer. I usually charge a little less if I'm selling here because there's no commission.

From what I've heard, your local camera store will pay you the least for your gear--and you should consider yourself lucky that you actually have a local camera store that sells used!

3. judywisconsin

judywisconsin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Mellow. Any suggestion on how to price it? All of the equipment is fairy new, and hardly used. I looked on B&H to see what brand new stuff was going for - figured that would be a starting place????

I didn't even realize we had something in this group. Would it be worth listing, even though this is a micro four/thirds group?

Thanks again.

4. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I would try either Fred Miranda or POTN. I think Canon gear would go faster there. You could also look at similar items and get an idea of how to price the items.

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    rklepper's advice is better for selling Canon gear; I've seen some non-m43 gear for sale here, but he's right--you'd hit a much more appropriate target audience at Fred Miranda.

As to eBay, you can search for completed sales and see what similar items have been selling for (click on the "sold listings" option). Spend some time browsing these to find good equivalents in terms of age and condition. I usually end up selling at a fixed price (not auction) because the selling fees are lighter and because that way I know what I'll get. I also usually price my items competitively, so if they haven't sold in 4-5 days I'll revisit. If you want to get the absolute best price for an item, auction is the best way to do it because occasionally you'll see an irrational bidding frenzy that will push the price up higher than an equivalent NEW item.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    FredMiranda and POTN, but if you've never done on-line sales, and you don't plan on doing it regularly, then those might not be the best route.

Craigslist is another way.

If you are not heart broken about getting less than full value, then trade it in. You'll get under market value, but it's easy and less time consuming.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    What I would suggest is that you look at the sold listings for the exact items you are going to sell - and price your stuff at around 5% less than what those same items in similar condition are typically going for on ebay when listing them here on the marketplace - that way, you and your buyer are sharing the savings of the ebay commission.

8. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I sold all my Canon gear (several "L" lenses, 5DMkII, etc) via Craigslist. I specified local only, cash only, and priced them reasonably. I also didn't negotiate. Everything sold within a week. Meet in a public place for the transaction!

9. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Yup. +1 for craigslist. If you're worried about transaction, nothing really beats a face to face cash transaction.

10. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Another vote for Craigslist. I also went from a 60D setup with several "L" and regular lenses to an OM-D setup. I had my gear listed on POTN but everything was sold on CL. Just make sure you meet in public places just to be safe. Good luck.

11. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I'll say Craigslist, too. Your Canon gear should have lots of potential buyers. I look at the completed listings on ebay to see what the various items are going for, and price accordingly. Also, make sure it's a local sale, cash only, and meet in a public place (Starbucks is always a good place since they're on every corner anyway).

If you don't want to go that route, I'll also recommend KEH.com. I've bought stuff from them and they are very fair with their grading system and the prices seem okay. I've never sold through them because I don't mind selling online myself (selling to a camera store or someplace like KEH will cost you some of your proceeds, since they have to turn around and sell it themselves).

One last option would be to sell it through Adorama (or maybe B&H) as part of a purchase of some new gear. You might get a slightly better deal that way since they are also getting a corresponding sale out of it. I did this with Adorama once for a new camera. Got a lot less than I would have selling it myself, but I also wanted the (at the time) hot new camera that had just come out, so it all worked out for me.

12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    eBay is your best resource. Search for the item and select "Show Only Sold Listings." Read them to identify listings as close as possible to your item -- condition, accessories, etc. Then deduct 15-20% for eBays rapacious fees and that is the seller's net.

Ignore the asking prices on the forums and the "Buy It Now" prices on eBay. The BIN pricers are usually looking for suckers and many forum ads are placed by dreamers.

As dougjgreen suggests, price slightly below the eBay gross price as a starting point. Don't "negotiate" (aka "cut price") for a week or so after the listing appears. When people ask say: "Good try. My camera will sell at some price, but I'm not going to reduce it right after I've listed it. Check back in a week or two." Frequently the response to that will be "I'll take it. [at the asking price.]"

Lots of good, clear photos and lots of informative text will help significantly in selling your item at your asking price. Some's good, more's better.

Do not bundle stuff. A body and a lens, for example. Bundles always sell for a price less than the items would bring if sold separately. In fact, I often buy bundles and sell off everything I don't want. My best deal ever was a package on CraigsList for $200 where I kept what I wanted and got over $400 for what I resold. More to the point, my two G1s were both bought bundled with 14-45mm lenses that I sold, leaving me in the G1s at around $100 +/- each.

13. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    X2

This is almost exactly what I did a few months ago, though I did come down a little on a few items. Sold fast and paid for the m4/3 kit I had at the time.

Good luck.

14. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    This may be different because I was selling an E-PL1, but I actually had a far easier time selling it on eBay than craigslist, where I had to deal with people trying to lowball me, meet me at inconvenient times, or negotiate for extras. After two weeks, I gave up on the idea and put it on eBay. I ended up getting more for it than I would have around here or other photography forums with perhaps more knowledgable potential buyers.

15. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Fred Miranda (FM) is good to sell gear on. It helps to be a member in good standing and get known. Look to do your first positive deal with a low or moderately priced item. Move up into your higher priced gear with the trust you have earned.

I have a long posting history at FM and have something like 52 positive deals on the forum; none negative. Anything that didn't sell on FM went quickly on eBay, where I have over a hundred positive deals; none negative.

16. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
  17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Ebay's fees are 13% - 10% ebay commission, 3% PayPal fees. If you sell in the marketplace here, you'll still incur the PayPal fees. So really, the equivalent seller realized value from selling here vs. ebay is if the price realized here is 10% lower than the typical ebay selling price - it's not 15-20%.

18. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I would rather take a little less and sell my use gear to Adorama, or B&H. They'll send you a prepaid UPS stickers. I live in NJ so I've done it in person and through UPS.

I just don't trust most individual buyers. Too many scam artist. I've consider selling gear on Craig List. But you are going to have to meet the buyer someplace local to both of you. And watching some episode of 48hours I have lost faith with most people. Some people will kill you over $20.

I love 48 hours. I just don't want to be in it!

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I just checked KEH quotes. That's too much of a hit for me. I've got a 9-18 listed right now, asking around $525. I've got a bunch of offers at $500. KEH's top-end quote is $367. I think I'd rather go private, personally.

20. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Only if you don't make the seller pay them. On eBay you don't have that option and you also are effectively required to offer PayPal.

There are also eBay listing fees and extra fees for photos, etc. that are not avoidable. In some categories, I have also run into limits on shipping charges that were lower than my out-of-pocket cost to ship. Pile all that stuff up and you'll be over 15% in many cases.

(In 15 years, I have sold over 100 items on eBay. In the beginning it was not arrogant and rapacious like it is now.)