How to get this amazing HDR outcome from my E-PM1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by urcindalo, Aug 12, 2012.

1. urcindalo

urcindalo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Almería, Spain
    Hi and thanks for reading this!

I just came across this amazing picture taken with an E-PM1.

Since I'm a completely newbie, I would like to know, in a step-by-step manner, how can I take the same kind of pictures. I read the bracketing section in the manual, but the thing is not clear to me. Everytime I take a picture with AE BKT enabled I only get one shot.

So, I ask again: how can I do that? I need a step-by-step guide, as if I were a stupid robot :biggrin: :
    1) You go here
    2) You set that
    3) Then go over there
    4) You choose this...

You get the idea, I hope :)
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Ask Olympus: What are those options in the camera's menu that have BKT in their labels?

"When shooting bracketed exposures, if the camera is set for single-image shooting, a shutter button press is required for each exposure. If the camera is set to Sequential Shooting Mode, the shutter button should be held down until the bracket is completed. Be sure to set any bracketing function to OFF when it is not needed, or you will get underexposed and overexposed shots."

What that means is after you set the type of bracketing you want, you then have to go into the drive mode and select one of the sequential shooting modes you want:
    [][][]L or [][][]H.

He got that shot using 5 exposures, but he didn't say hw much EV...he did say he used Nik HDR Efex Pro for the processing.

3. Wonderful image, but I'm a little surprised that it required as many as five exposures to create. In this case you could probably still do okay with just the one raw file, although the noise could become excessive if you tried to raise the shadows too much on the E-PM1.

4. urcindalo

urcindalo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Almería, Spain
    Thank you very much.

I didn't read the claim about the Nik HDR Efex Pro for the processing, though, in the Flickr page. I interpreted the camera would create the HDR image from the bracketed images automagically.

In any case, since I'm a Linux user, I'll try the free Darktable to combine them and will show the result in the forum.

5. urcindalo

urcindalo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Almería, Spain
    Well, I ended up using Luminance HDR for the task. It is free, easy to use, performs automatic alignment of the pictures and you can choose among several algorithms. I particularly like the default "fattal" results.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You have to take the extra shots yourself. :) The camera will enable bracketing to adjust the next x amount of shots you take, but it will not take them for you off one shutter release. So the next time you release the shutter, you'll be bracketed, then the next shot will be bracketed further. Most people use bracketing in conjunction with Burst. That way the photos will all be taken together. The 5fps burst of the E-PM1 is perfect for a 5-frame bracket. The 3fps burst of older Olympus cameras was perfect for a 3-frame bracket.

7. Muzzlehatch

Muzzlehatch New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2012
    Why not just ask?

I'm not doing anything secret. You could just ask... A lot of people ask questions like this on Flickr. It's fine. :smile: