How to get rid of Mac ".DS_Store" files

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While trying to find the best budget backup solution, one thing I would like for the backup disks is to get rid of those side car files that Mac produces as I want to be able to use these disks on windows and Mac and not have these extra files cluttering up the system and making it hard to organise and view on a PC.

I was looking at Tinker Tool, but I am not sure what drives are considered "network drives" or is this configurable.

Would be nice to stop these files getting on SD cards as well. I tried using the write protect switch on a card but it fell off when I tried to use it. so pass on that idea.

https://www.bresink.com/osx/0TinkerTool/screenshots.html
screen shot.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am calling these side car files, but that is only because I do not know how to properly describe them.

What are the recommended ways to not get these extra files on external drives and SD cards if possible ?

Edit
Currently I am using exFat to format the drive I am using on both windows and the iMac. If I installed one of the NTFS drivers by Paragon etc would that stop these extra files being written to those drives, just a thought if using NTFS drives would solve the problem.

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I don't think you can delete them from local drives, as MacOS uses these for each folder's view settings. Local drives would be any physical attached disk, including removables. There is a command to keep it from writing to network drives, which would be drives you connect to through a server or another host PC. If the files are not actually causing you data access issues, you could always just make that file extension hidden in Windows. They'd technically still be there, but you would no longer see them and have them interfering with your file management, and they wouldn't copy over to Windows unless you copy the entire folder over and there is one inside.

For what it's worth, Windows does something similar with removable disks, placing a hidden "system volume information" folder on every drive Windows can write to.

Leave them. They are the Desktop Services Store file and are macOS metadata. They tell the Finder where files and folders are located. They are not “extra”. They are created and re-created any and every time a device access the macOS services.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
those side car files that Mac produces as I want to be able to use these dicks on windows and Mac and not have these extra files cluttering up the system and making it hard to organise and view on a PC.
Well those dicks are only created one per folder and can easily be ignored like most dicks. But Mac likes to swing their dicks around regardless of the format. Fortunately not only are they only one per folder, Mac dicks are small so no reason to be concerned. It is just a little prick.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well those dicks are only created one per folder and can easily be ignored like most dicks. But Mac likes to swing their dicks around regardless of the format. Fortunately not only are they only one per folder, Mac dicks are small so no reason to be concerned. It is just a little prick.
All right I fixed that typo, I think
Cant help it if my spelling is as bad as my post processing

You can turn the creation of those files without a special tool. You just need to issue a command in Terminal. I think it prevents them on network drives AND attached storage like USB drives. Here's an article: https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...ation-of-dsstore-files-for-mac-users-folders/
That only works as long as the drive is constantly attached and the metadata is Finder loaded.

The moment the device is re-accessed or loaded the, metadata files are re-created. This cannot be turned off. It’s integral to the Finder.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
in a terminal window:

Bash:
find /Volumes/backupdrive/ -name '.DS_Store' -delete

where "backupdrive" is the name of your backup device.

As others have said, Finder creates these automatically on every visit to that location. The files are generally small and don't take up much space, but if you don't like them hanging around, the `find` command will do the thing.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom