1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

how to get old lenses to work on a m4/3 mount.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colbycheese, May 16, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I have a question, how do you know what lenses you can get like 4/3 lenses and nikon lenses. How does it work exactly. I know it is a idiot question but i though i could save some money from buying older lenses. I have a nikon FE with a 50mm lens. How do i go about using it on my micro four thirds camera. I looked up some adapters and i noticed that there is an expensive one and a cheap one which look the same. does it matter really? Also, will the pictures turn out any differently with the adapted lens? What should i be aware of in the picture quality, etc? EDIT: What other old lenses can you reccomend getting that are good?
    Thanks

2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    The thing that dictates what glass can be adapted is the register distance. Any lense that's register is larger than m43 can be adapted. The adaptor adds that appropriate distance acting as a spacer. There is a sticky in the adapted lenses forum that can explain all this in detail. If you google lens register you should be able to pull up a chart listing all the different mounts and their register. Hope this helps, and by the way, welcome to the forum.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You can adapt virtually all manual lenses with proper adapters. You can technically adapt modern Nikon/Canon auto focus lenses as well but you will not be able to auto focus or change aperture on these. The only exception is adapting 4/3 lenses to m4/3.

Go to the adapted lens section of the forums. Everything you need to know is there. Good luck and have fun.

4. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I would go with the expensive adaptor if you intend to do a lot of lens-swapping. A $15 adaptor will work... but for how long? I don't want to risk inferior machining damaging a legacy bit of fine glass. I use a Lumix/Leica M adaptor to mount a Dual-range Summicron f2 50mm on my GH2 and EP-2. Totally manual and heavy, but a lovely optic. I posted my first pic ever in the members' gallery of it at: My Oly/Leica hybrid: EP-2 + Dual-Range Summicron - Mu-43 Gallery

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Regarding the expensive vs cheap adapter... it may simply be that the expensive adapter you're looking at is better quality, but it's possible that you may also be looking at adapters with a built-in aperture ring (ie, like the Novoflex adapters with the blue ring). These adapters are for newer lenses which don't have their own manual aperture ring (due to digital control), which would be wasteful on your FE lenses but could be handy if you ever want to try adapting newer Nikon lenses.

7. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Older Nikon AF lenses have aperture rings, it's just the newer G lenses and with the G lenses you can still change aperture via the right adapter. With Canon, there is no ability to change aperture on the M43 cameras unless you get a fake aperture thingy.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't think that's correct anymore. The expensive Redrock and Berger adapters are powered and should operate the electronic aperture on your EOS lenses. They both run in the area of $450. The cheaper Bower and Kipon adapters on the other hand, have their own aperture in the adapter (the fake aperture thingy). These only run about $150.

9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I haven't found significant differences between the inexpensive and the higher priced ones. I find it much more convenient to have seperate adapters for each lens rather than switching lenses out on single adapter.

10. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    You're right. Didn't know these were out.http://store.redrockmicro.com/livelensmft

11. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I have a Fotodiox adaptor for my Zuiko lenses, excellent quality for the money IMVHO, and at has the aperture tang inside.

I have read a post on another forum of a 'cheapy' from ebay getting stuck :eek: and mechanical measures being required to get it off.

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    The only big difference in an adapter is the Pentax 110 one. Most will not have an aperature. There is one with an aperature but the last reports I read said it wasn't shipping yet.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I thought it was spelled Fotodiox, unless we're shopping in different places? I'll have to second the suggestion though... I use Fotodiox for my Zuiko lenses as well, and love it!

14. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Fotodiox it is :blush:

15. trondkj

trondkj Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    I bought the Olympus Adapter MF-2, and all I can say is that it is a terrible overpriced item. So if you can get antother adapter for a cheaper price, go for it, as long as it is properly made.
    In fact I had expected a little bit more from Olympus for that price, some sort of electronics that could sense what aperture is selected, and also tell the camera that manual lenses is used.
    So I do not recommend the Olympus adapter.

16. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2012
    Boston, MA, USA
    Ben K.
    My suggestion is (if you're in the US) to get the ~$20-25 adapters from RainbowImaging on eBay. I used them with both my GF1 and my NEX-5N, and they always worked great. I have both Nikon D & G lenses and Pentax DA and FA lenses, so I got the kind that could change the aperture on lenses without aperture rings. Those were still under $25 shipped. :cool:

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've attempted to compile a (more or less) complete list of available adapters in this post. The short answer is that the list of lenses that cannot be easily adapted to :43: is probably longer than the list of those that can.

18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I use a relatively inexpensive ($30) fotodiox adapter for my OM lenses and an even cheaper one for my Leica screw mount lenses. (which just need a threaded hole with an appropriate registering distance.) Make sure your adapter is guaranteed to focus to infinity, though. My first OM adapter, a $15 ebay bargain, turned out not to be such a bargain for that reason.

19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's quite common. I find that I just have to burn through a few until I get one that works. Even buying another one from a vendor where I got a good one before is no guarantee. They don't make them but just sell them. Their sources can vary over tiime.

20. trondkj

trondkj Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2012
    Shouldn't it be possible to make an adapter that senses what aperture is used, and sends that info to the camera? The OM lenses give "mechanical" info to the OM cameras, so in my imagination that should be possible to convert to electrical signals. Or what???