1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to get Canon-like skin tones?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by acuriousman, Apr 14, 2015.

1. acuriousman

acuriousman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    I've been trying to figure this out for a while but I can't get the formula right in Photoshop.

I'm taking portrait stills and I want to get the gorgeous color skin tones that Canon's cameras produce.

Is there any Photoshop action or method I can use in post to do so?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Buy a Canon.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Are you referring to Canon JPEGs using Canon Picture Styles?

4. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    agreed :rofl:

5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    To perhaps be a little more helpful that some of the snarky comments, what I have seen done by some is to use a color checker and a Canon camera with the JPEG style you prefer along with your m43 camera to create a color profile in Adobe Lightroom. As I understand it, the process is pretty involved however. One of the users here did it to recreate Fujifilm's Classic Chrome JPEG look on certain Panasonic cameras. He talks a bit about how he did it in this thread:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/72573/

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. acuriousman

acuriousman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 20, 2013
    Most like the Picture styles they use. Whatever would render the best and most pleasing looking skin tones.

Great info, but unfortunately I don't have a Canon camera on hand...

There isn't some Photoshop action that can emulate or at least be a starting point for this?

7. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    You don't say what kind of camera you're using.

For my panasonics, I'm a fan of the "huelight" profiles. They give much more pleasing colors than the built in Panasonic jpegs or the built in Adobe lightroom raw conversion. http://www.colorfidelity.com/

People, in general, seem to be happier with the default Olympus color rendering, but I think he makes profiles for them too.

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sorry but I fall on the snarky side with this one.

If the question was more how can I duplicate the "classic chrome", "Velvia", "Kodachrome", etc. You're talking about a film style, look, etc. And normally this type of look is not for every image you take, but maybe a series, a setting, etc. But if it's "I want to get the gorgeous color skin tones that Canon's cameras produce." Sorry, Canon makes perfectly capable cameras and if you're doing portraits and want that look then save yourself the time and effort and buy one.

By the way, I would given the same answer when the OP asked the same thing last year in regard to a GH2. I had a photography instructor that shot interiors. He said one thing that I will never forget. Clean up the area once or Photoshop all the images. Same holds true here, If you are going through your second Panasonic body (seems like OP had a GH2 and now has a GH4) save the time and trouble and buy a Canon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Not really - there are too many variables. Take a look at film emulation software like VSCO Film for example - even with presets like these the results vary dramatically depending on the image you're starting with.

If there is a particular look you like, I'd recommend trying the best you can to emulate that look through software and saving it as a preset to apply to other images you take in similar situations/lighting conditions. Learn how to use the curves and the hue/saturation controls offered as these will be the most powerful for fine tuning the look.

If you're really wondering why its not so easy to find a preset to make images from another camera brand look like a Canon, I'm afraid I'm going to have to side with those who are saying just shoot JPEGs with a Canon - as you're assured of the results you're looking for. I can't imagine there would be much of a market for different manufacturers current JPEG emulations. Film emulation software exists because its impossible to shoot film on a digital camera so its the easiest way to get the 'film look'. Its easy enough to get the Canon look by buying a Canon camera.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The OP hasn't stated what camera he's using, or if he did I missed it.

For great skies and skin buy an Olympus, preferably an old one ... or a Canon, but then you get yellow grass ...

11. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I just happen to check "posts by" and they asked the same question last year but specified for a GH2. In other posts they mention they now have a GH4. So no you didn't miss it, I just happen to find it.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. deelek5

deelek5 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 20, 2013
    Philadelphia
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    North Ohio
    M Ferencz
    This is kinda like matching paint with nothin more than a description of the color. Truth is you need to play around in pp or buy what you like to begin with.

14. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I have them and use the Cross Camera Profiles often. I started back in my Pentax days after seeing a strong recommendation from Moose Peterson in his blog and later downloaded the EM5 set when I switched systems. I particularly like the Nikon D3 for nature and landscape and the Canon 1DmarkIII for people. The Leica options are pretty nice as well. It is a matter of personal preference for the look and there are dozens to choose from in each set. They have plug-in sets for most of the Olympus line up through the EM1 (but not for the EM10 yet) and it looks like they have much of the Pany line. Under $15.00 to download.

In addition to the Cross Camera sets, they have other looks and styles, including old film looks.

These are plug-ins for Adobe Camera Raw so they work in Photoshop, PS Elements and (I think) Lightroom.

http://pskiss.com/shop/cross-camera-color-profiles/

• Like Like x 2
  15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    DXO Pro will emulate another camera's profile if it's in their database. I don't know if that will give you what you want, but you can download and demo it.

Fred

16. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Why drive yourself crazy when your "problem" has a truly simple solution. Buy a Canon already. Your m4/3 cameras won't be offended.

17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Show me a canon file with this special 'look'.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
  19. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I haven't used DXO for anything other than their lens profiles in a while. But yes, they do have other camera profiles -- and I didn't realize before this was offered as a simulation, but it makes sense now. They also include film simulation. Anyway as for camera bodies, they group the 5Dmk3 with the mk2 and the 1DX. And they only offer one profile, not any of the other Canon JPEG profiles (faithful, neutral, landscape, standard, portrait).

So in lightroom I found that the 5Dmkiii - Camera Faithful profile seems to be what DXO's profile is based on.

Here is LR5 with a RAW from my 5Dmk3 on Camera Faithful:
    LR5_5dmkiii.

And here is DXO with an ORF from my EM5 with the Canon 5Dmk3 simulation profile. Close, but not perfect.

DXO_EM5_as5Dmkiii.

20. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I would say, the 5Dmk3 in Lightroom has a little more green in the highlights. You can see it in the hair and a little in the skin tone and a little in the walls.