1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to get better performance from my GH3?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by thercman, Apr 28, 2015.

1. thercman

thercman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    Hey Guys!

So lately I have started shooting musicians and other live events for clients in low light situations (clubs). Definitely not ideal. So without selling it and buying say the new Ursa Mini (which I may) how can improve my low light performance when shooting video? At this point the only way I know of is buy say the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 and a Metabones speed booster. Together that will run me in the neighborhood of $1300. Is it worth it or should I put the money towards the Ursa Mini?

2. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    There's nothing I've seen yet that makes the Ursa Mini a great low light camera... so I would wait a good while yet.

In terms of helping the GH3, it's one of those things you have to deal with. Fast primes are great for low light as long as you can deal with the reduced DOF. If you really want the low light king then the Sony A7s is the way to go. After that the C100 isn't too shabby either.

Getting better performance out of the GH3 could be as simple as using Neat video. Do you have it?

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The 25/0.95 is cheaper, and DOF isn't that shallow. I think someone still has one for sale in the buy and sell section.