1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

how to get better jpg directly from camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jyc860923, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi guys, I've almost been using only the raw files though I keep the camera JPGs for reference, and I think it's better to make the camera JPGs more useful. Anyway, are there settings you'd like to share for fine-tuning for details, colours?

e.g. Smart Resolution, contrast, NR, dynamic

has anybody noticed the AWB can result in navy blue images sometimes?

2. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    not only can AWB periodically turn some pics blue, but it can also turn some yellow. that's true of white balance in pretty much any camera - at those times, it's probably best (and very easy) to set the white balance yourself.

what settings you'll find most useful isn't just about your camera - it's about your personal preferences. i like to shoot my pics in any camera in a natural or neutral setting, but a lot of people prefer their colors with more punch, in which case vivid might be better. if you want to see your details more sharply, why not turn up contrast 1 and see if that improves things for you?

3. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    The Alaska thread had some settings in it for jpeg, I have tried them in the GF1 and they seem to be quite good baseline to work from, have a read through there and experiment!

4. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
  5. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川

A few days ago I shot some snow scenes and they turned very blue, even bluer than I ever have seen on other cameras, and I agree the WB has to be manually set, just didn't wanna be over confident with my manual setting

6. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i'm not suggesting you go fully manual with white balance, as in a card. just keep an eye on the monitor or evf as you change white balance settings, and chances are you'll be able to actually see when you find the wb setting that works. the few times i got outdoor blue stuff was when i accidentally left my white balance on incandescent or flouresent (i know, spelled wrong). i switched to an outdoor mode and voila!

if you don't mind scene modes, there may well be a snow mode, too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Search on jpg engine tuning

8. Azimuth

Azimuth Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Thornbury, Victoria
    Setting a manual white balance is good photography practice as all auto-white balance systems are prone to failure in difficult lighting situations.

You might want to look at getting a white balance keychain or lens cap and practice this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Yeah, thanks.

Actually I've already tried this last weekend to go out and shoot with manual WB and the colour was great in both jpgs and raws. I just felt released from tuning raws, still developing raws for better details and etc. though.

10. Duke Mac

Duke Mac Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2011
  11. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    1. Maximize Dynamic Range by keeping ISO low; ideally under 800

2. Avoid as much as possible clipping highlights; scarifice shadows for highlights.

3. For images with poor color, washed out color - convert to B&W and punch up the blacks.

4. Avoid pictures in the SUN when directly overhead to avoid harse shadows. Shoot more in the golden hours.

5. Sharp Lens (20/25/45)

6. Polarizer

7. Lens Hoods

12. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Thanks buddy

Very thorough, I've almost done the same, it's not just about OOC but also what we all need to pay attention to.

I took the advice from the forum regrading WB settings and the pix look just like what I can see with bare eye, and the settings has influence on raw too, which saved me a lot of work.

So I could still some times keep the OOC image while I can't get what I want from raw, raw has better details.

Lens hoods are often used and so is the CPL, it's just for most of the time the hoods don't make as significant difference on the pictures as they make on the camera:cool: