1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

'How To Frame A Spectacular But Boring Sunset'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Oct 3, 2012.

1. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Hmm, they're all still pretty boring, if you ask me. The only one that even comes close to interesting is the vertical shot with the sun near the top and some detail in the water at the bottom. But how in heck did he manage to take a photo of a sunset over water and get no reflection in the water at all?

This is the kind of shot where, if it brought out warm memories to me, I'd look at it privately, and not bother showing it to friends or posting it on the web.

But I'll grant the key point of the article, which is that moving the main subject out of the center often (but not always), makes for a more interesting photo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I've never seen the rule of thirds presented this way. Very nice. Yes, still a bit boring, but much more interesting. There's only so much one can do with the orig image. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yeah there wasn't much there... Sunsets need water, trees, clouds, buildings or just something else. Pretty boring stuff, but an interesting representation of the thirds rule.

4. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I dunno

If you print them big enough it adds something. :biggrin:

I printed this about four feet wide on canvas and folks were impressed.

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Of course the gamut was much greater than depicted here.

• Like Like x 2
  5. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Well, your photo has depth, multiple colors, etc...It's a nice photo. The other one is the sun with a some pretty boring water. No matter where you put it in the frame, to me it's boring.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

+1

7. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    interestingly enough, I find the original photo to work better than the rest. Although, I would have to put the sun on the lower-middle line but that's just me.

8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I agree. I think in a photo with that much negative space, the sun is a strong enough subject to be centered...at least more so than any of his other placements--though I think you're right about putting it lower in the middle of the frame. Then print it big (40x30) and nobody'd complain about it at all.

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm interested in the notion that you can overcome a picture being mediocre if you print it large. That's the opposite to what I've always thought, does it really work?

As far as this sunset is concerned, it is boring but not unpleasant. I could see it being used as a small picture (max 2 inches) in a travel brochure, in support of better, larger pictures. I wouldn't show it as a stand alone. In this case I think applying the rule of thirds is not the most effective solution, far better to find some foreground interest before taking the picture.

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I should clarify. No. I do not think that you can overcame a picture being mediocre if you print large. Absolutely not.

I think that in the case of this picture, its not actually that bad. The colours don't vary much, but they're rather powerful. So in the case of this particular picture, I think it would do well as a large print that doesn't follow the rule of thirds because of the combination of the powerful yellows and the subject matter of the sun.

• Like Like x 1