How To: Focus Stacking EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jjbigfly, Nov 26, 2015.

1. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Wait a sec...I am not telling you how, I am ASKING how.
    I think I have read that I should be able to do stacking and end up with a single image using the EM-1 and the Olympus 60m 2.8. I tried a few times and end up with 8 images but not the single finished image, What might I be doing wrong?
    Please limit responses to CAMERA related issues :) No politics, religion and so on....thanks

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It can 'fail' to auto-merge (probably can't align?), and that's what you get - just the originals, no merged output...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. biodan25

biodan25 New to Mu-43

Nov 26, 2015
    As posted by wjiang, if the merge fails, no composite image is generated. It took a couple of tries for me while shooting handheld- i had to raise the ISO to 2500 for an interior shot at 1/160sec.

Here is the composite and a montage of the source images:
    (f2.8 1/160sec 60mm Olympus Macro)
    fin_PB260616.

montage.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's right. Here is a quote from page 174 of the Version 4 manual.
    If hand holding, then there can't be any movement.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  5. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Did you pray?

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Also make sure you're in stacking mode, not bracketing.

Barry

7. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    OK, this may seem a really dumb question, but how the heck do you activate focus stacking ?

I've gone to menus set #2 - Bracketing, set to ON, then selected "Focus BKT", set that to on, and hit right, and selected "Focus Stacking" - "ON". The number of shots is ghosted out (as I guess it's automatically 9 shots), and I can set the focus differential from narrow to wide (0-10).

However, when I then take a shot, it just takes one shot and looks exactly the same as the shot I took without bracketing on ? I've tried with all 3 of my por lenses (12-40, 7-14 and 40-150), all with the latest firmwares, but none of them seem to work ?

What am I doing wrong please. Do I need to activate electronic shutter, or shoot on jpg etc ? Help please.

8. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I tried this and failed a couple of times as it's not exactly clear how to use it. I switched on focus stacking, enabled bracketing and then set it to high speed silent and voila it takes 9 shots and stacks them.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Cheers Chris. Had another go and it seems I just wasn't enabling bracketing by hitting the menu button after selecting bracketing "on". Now the little "BKT" icon appears at the top of the screen and it seems to be working fine. Agree that the new manual doesn't really explain it too well !

10. jjbigfly

jjbigfly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2013
    Big thanks! Would have never figured that one out......

11. judystowell

judystowell Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    When I activate Focus BKT, my Focus stacking is grayed out - can't turn it on. What am I doing wrong/

12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Isn't "stacking" only available with certain lenses? Perhaps you are not using a supported lens and therefore are limited to only bracketing?

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You need the 12-40, the 40-150 Pro or the 60.
    Otherwise you will have to use just bracketing and stack on the computer.

• Agree Agree x 3