1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to fire remote flashes faster than 1/160 on G3 or GX7?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by rrunnertexas, Jun 25, 2014.

1. rrunnertexas

rrunnertexas Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 27, 2013
    Arlington, Texas
    I have been using my Panasonic G3 and multiple remote trigger flashes and they work very well as long as the sync speed is kept to 1/160 or less.

In the past I have used remote flashes with my Sony Alpha DSLR at sync speeds of 1/1000 and faster and have had great results. I want to do this with my Panasonics as well.

So, my question is how do I get my Panasonics to sync faster than 1/160 with remote, radio trigger flashes?

I did see a work-around for the Olympus cameras where a FP flash is attached, then removed from the body and the radio transmitter is put on. Then the camera will fire at any shutter speed. Does this work-around function on Panasonic bodies as well?

Anyone have sample images of a set-up that has worked for them?

Thanks,
    David

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    AFAIK, there are no radio triggers out there compatible with the four-thirds TTL signaling that allows for TTL, remote commanding, and FP/HSS flash. With your Sony Alpha, I assume you had TTL triggers that spoke the Sony/Minolta version of TTL (e.g., Phottix Odin).

I think possibly your only way to do this would be to get incompatible TTL radio triggers that are capable of tailsync/hypersync/supersync/overdrive sync or whatever the hell they're calling it these days. This typically requires the remote flash to fire at full power, so as to have the longest pulse duration, and then shifting the sync signal after the initial part of the burst, and into the tail of the burst, when the illumination is more even. This way, the flash pulse will be going on during the entire exposure. You do lose more power than you would with HSS/FP, though.

Or. Give up on radio triggering, and use the Oly/Panasonic RC light-based protocol instead.

-----

Addendum: forgot about the Aotek AK-TTL triggers. If you have an RC flash, this might work. Looks kinda like they do what Radiopoppers do--i.e., take the light pulses used to to RC signaling and convert to RF.