1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

how to do time lapse / interval photography with E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by joflaig, Mar 8, 2014.

1. joflaig

joflaig New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2014
    I just bought an E-PL5 with one interest being doing some interval shooting. It seems from what I've read that it should be possible using the Custom Self-Timer and Anti-Shock settings, but I can't figure it out! The menus are byzantine and the manual isn't much help. I've turned Anti-Shock on, but between the Frame, Timer, and Interval Time settings it's all very confusing and holding the shutter down seems to just take one picture after I've set everything up and activated the self-timer. Another point of confusion is using the INFO button to set the number of pictures...

Has anyone had luck with this and can you explain how to do it step by step?

Thanks!

2. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    time lapse is easy with Olympus. You need a remote shutter cable which can be bought cheap (generic version). Use antishock from 1/8s to 30s with sequence shooting enabled and "hold" button enabled on the remote shutter control. The camera will stop when the battery dies or you stop it manually.

4. joflaig

joflaig New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2014
    I got the remote shutter cable and I've set the anti-shock to 1/8, but I can't figure out the rest. I got into the Custom Timer screen and set it 1 Frame, the timer to 5sec and the Interval Time to 0.5sec. When I click down on the round menu wheel to the self timer options no matter which self timer option I try it only results in one photo being taken when the remote shutter is clicked when in the lock position. It seems like this should be more obvious. Help!

5. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    In the menu time lapse has it's own configuration in camera settings one or two (i can't remember off the top of my head) I assume it's similar to the EM1?
    It's at the bottom of the page that has auto bracket at the top, you can switch it on from here and set the interval time etc. Hope this helps, if not get the PDF manual from olympus's website and download it to your phone for reference ;)

6. joflaig

joflaig New to Mu-43

Mar 8, 2014
    I read everything from Olympus on this and no combination of settings seems to work. If somebody has done this with an e-pl5 I would love to know how.

7. keszozda

keszozda Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014