1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to do Long Exposure times??? EPL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kstevieh, Aug 19, 2010.

1. kstevieh

kstevieh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    USA, West Virginia
    I would like to try to get some pictures of waterfalls/moving water where it looks like its flowing/foggy looking and pics at night showing all the tailights/headlights streaming etc.

So how do i change exposure time on the EPL1 to do this?

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Simple way..Set to iAUTO, then Blur motion to the max. you may need to add a ND8 in front if it's too bright. BUT watch that camera shake. if you have the camera on a tripod, then switch that IS off.

• Like Like x 2
  3. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

Hello Steve,
    Here are two ways to adjust the shutter speed.
    1. Set the mode dial on top of the camera to "S", this sets for shutter priority.
    Press the +/- button (just above start/ok) , then press the +/- and the
    timer/sequential shooting buttons to adjust the shutter speed up and down.

2. Set the mode dial to "iAuto" , then press the start/ok button to bring up the
    live guide menu. Select Express Motions and move the slider up to blur
    motion and down to stop motion.

Both work well.... Just play around with the settings to get the effect you desire.

Hope this helps.
    John

• Like Like x 1
  4. kstevieh

kstevieh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    USA, West Virginia
    Ill try that first...

When using the Iauto does it cover the entire range of shutter speed?

Manually doing it any different really? I still would like to know the manual way too.

5. johnny9fingers

I'm not sure if "Express Motion" in iAuto covers the entire shutter speed range. Shooting in either Shutter Priority or Manual would.....

6. kstevieh

kstevieh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    USA, West Virginia
    I searched and cant find it....but I remember someone talking about getting a 10-15 second exposure time.....That isnt under shutter priority that I can tell. Is this even possible with the epl1?

7. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    In Shutter priority mode, I can set the exposure to be 10 and 15 seconds. The (") denotes seconds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kstevieh

kstevieh Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    USA, West Virginia
    ok thanks......didnt quite understand that.

Again thanks to all for quick replies and help.....this site if great for newbies like me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. johnny9fingers

60 seconds is the longest the shutter will stay open in shutter priority. In manual, you can use bulb setting and keep the shutter open as long as you hold the shutter button down....

10. antithetic

antithetic Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    City of Angels
    Sorry I wasn't more clear, I'm still starting out too. In my tinkering with Shutter priority mode, the exposure times like 1/100, 1/200 are shown as '100', '200' on the LCD. Exposure times longer than a second use the quotes so 10 or 15 seconds would be 10", 15" on the LCD.

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnny9fingers

Glad to be of help. I'm new to the E-PL1 as well and questions like this force me to explore and learn more about the camera as well.
    John

• Like Like x 2
  12. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Just remember, if you are shooting in daylight you will most likely need a neutral density filter if you are going to be shooting at long shutter speeds. Otherwise the whole pic will be one overexposed mess. I would use aperture priority, set the aperture to its smallest (largest number,) and the ISO to its lowest. The camera will pick the shutter speed and that's going to be the slowest shutter you can use. If that shutter speed is still too fast to blur the water then you know you need the ND filter.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Heard of this term but have not seen it..."Excessively small aperture may cause diffraction"

Is this true?

14. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Long exposures with your hands on the camera sounds not good, are there other ways to do bulb exposure?
    - set duration up front, icw self timer (don't know if possible)?
    - remote control (should work - TBC)

15. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    London
    I do mine differently. I set my camera to Aperture mode and choose an high aperture, I let the camera decide the shutter speed.

Here's a shot taken during the day, I had to use 2 X ND8 and 1 ND4 stacked to get the effect. The Aperture was set to f14 which gave me 6 sec exposure.

Best thing to do is go out and practice to see which method suits you best

• Like Like x 2
  16. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Yes diffraction can occur so if you can get away with it, you might back off the smallest aperture by one or two stops. However if you are in bright sunlight this may not be an option. The lighting conditions need to be your guide to determine how you set the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    What types of remotes are there for this type of camera. I remember the old shutter release cables with old SLRs that you could screw into virtually every shutter button in any competent camera on the market. And pretty much any of the cable releases had a little stopper you could screw closed to hold the cable in place to keep the shutter open for an extended period without having to stand there holding it. Made time exposures a lot easier. Modern shutter buttons have nothing like that, so what do people use for remotes?

edit - never mind, a simple search showed me what the current parts are. Seems like it connects through the USB port and triggers it electronically. Why not, everything else about these cameras is electronic...

-Ray

18. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Sadly Olympus forgot to add any remote support for the E-PL1 but the E-P1 and E-P2 can be used with the RM-UC1.

19. Bittof

Bittof New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2013
    Long-exposure ND filter - issue knocking lens, losing focus

Hello, all!

I have an Olympus PEN EPL-1 and have tried shooting infrared as well as daytime long exposures via 10-stop B&W filter. I think I understand the concepts and set focus before adding the filter.

However--screwing on the filter disrupts or knocks the lens just slightly, losing focus. It's maddening but surely the fault is mine. What am I missing?

Ed