How to disable half press AE-Lock in Pana GX-7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by darzur, Sep 14, 2015.

1. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    Hello,

It's very strange that my GX-7 does AE-Lock with half press shutter. Searched through the menus but found nothing to disable it. It doesn't look like normal AE-Lock because screen brightness remains constant (it's brightness changes with lighting conditions), but exposure values (aperture, shutter) doesn't change accordingly. With AE-Lock button screen brightness changes accordingly to lighting conditions - it becomes dark or bright .

Is that a bug or something I can change in the menus??

2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I just looked at mine, as far as I can tell, as long as the shutter is half pressed, the exposure settings remain the same. I set my AE/AF lock button to AE only, so if I want a different exposure I use the button to lock exposure, and a half press will not over ride that.

3. darzur

darzur Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015
    Darek
    Half shutter exposure lock is a bit misleading as it changes display brightness when reframing but exposure remains unchanged. To be honest, for the first time I noticed it using polarizer and wanted to "lock" screen brightness to see sky darkening effect. Then I realized that I can do it with AE/AF-Lock button but not with half shutter press although in both cases I have exposure locked. Anyway in another forum I've read that it can be dependent from AF mode (AFS,AFF,AFC) so have to test it.

In general I'm using back button focusing so half-press ae-lock may not be a bad idea, but with screen brightness locked too. Unfortunately I'm afraid I'll have to learn to live with it.