1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How to delete a post

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by rkhndjr, Feb 16, 2015.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I want to get my post off but cannot figure =how. Is there any way? Thanks
    Russell

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Which post? If it's the first post in a thread, you can't delete it.

3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Hmmm ... can you delete a thread, then (as a user, I mean)? If not, it's something to be aware of - though posting is something not to be done inconsiderately anyway ...

M.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You can delete your own post unless it's the first post in the thread.

5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Amin: I got that, and I saw that. For deleting threads, should someone have started one unwittingly (which, of course, one shouldn't), they need the moderators to take care of it. Not an uncommon thing in forum software, but as I said, one that everyone should be aware of.

M.

6. ronk

ronk Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Twin Cities, MN
    Ron
    Yes, I noticed that if you run an ad on 'Buy and Sell', you cannot delete it, even if no other posts yet. You can only Edit. On eBay, for instance, sometimes one messes up and wishes to start over and delete the first try. I guess one just has to mark 'withdrawn' or some such thing, and it's left cluttering the buy and sell thread. I accept but don't understand the reasoning behind this if the only post has been your own.

7. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Would it be possible to modify this so that you can deleted your post if no others follow? I have run into this problem. After trying everything I could think of to delete the post, I finally edited it with a dummy title and text and just left it. But that only wastes time for the curious.

Brian

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    @Brian Beezley@Brian Beezley - I am not aware of any way to set it up that way. I participate in a lot of forums that operate as this one does, and I just edit the title to say "deleted - please ignore" and the post content to say "deleted".

In the case of a Buy & Sell listing, I would not delete all the content but instead edit the last post in the thread to prominently say "I am starting a new listing. Please ignore this one". What shouldn't be done is replying to the thread (bumping) to say "I am starting a new listing".

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    I posted an item and received zero responses. After a reasonable amount of time thought I would just delete. Now I understand why I could not.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Another thought - say someone started a thread, you prepared a long, thoughtful, wonderful reply, hit "Post" and got "You do not have permission to do that" because the OP had just been deleted. Not a great experience.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Again, best thing to do there is edit the original listing to either say "Withdrawn" or "Ignore this listing - I am reposting".

• Agree Agree x 1