how to custom set shutter speed for Auto iso in E-pl5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by CanonConvert, Jan 7, 2013.

1. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    when using the 20mm 1.7 on my E-PL5, i realize it keeps @ 1/60s and caps itself @ iso1600, which i find pretty unnecessary most of the time. is it possible to 1. change the shutter speed limit and 2. change the iso cap?

couldn't find that anywhere on the manual. help appreciated!
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What mode are you in? If you want a "custom" shutter speed, just use time priority.

To change the Auto ISO cap (and minimum as well) go to Settings=>Sprockets=>Exp/ISO= >Auto ISO Set
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    You can set a minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO, i.e. set the speed at which the camera will increase the ISO setting rather than further reducing shutter speed. To do that you simply set the Flash Slow Limit in the Flash Custom sub-menu of the Sprockets Menu.

So if you don't want your shutter speed to drop below 1/100 sec, set the Flash Slow Limit to 1/100 sec, if you don't want it to drop below 1/25 sec, set the Flash Slow Limit to 1/25 sec.

You do not have to be using flash for this to work.

Note that there are limitations to this technique:

- It does not work in S mode because the camera respects your shutter speed choice in S mode and you have no way of limiting the camera's choice of aperture in that mode;

- the maximum speed you can set the flash slow limit to is 1/250 sec. That can be a bit of a problem if you're using a long lens and you're trying to avoid camera shake. If you want a minimum shutter speed that's faster than 1/250 sec, you have no choice but to shoot in either S mode and let the camera set aperture to whatever it chooses, or shoot in M mode and control all exposure parameters yourself.

- since the minimum shutter speed you can hand hold depends on the focal length of the lens you're using, you are probably going to want to reset this setting to a different value every now and then if you change lenses. A speed that's suitable for a wide angle or standard lens may not work well with a much longer focal length lens and a speed that's fast enough for a long lens may force your ISO much higher than it needs to be with shorter lenses because you can hand hold a longer exposure without camera shake with them.

As Ned pointed out, you can also set the range in which auto ISO will operate.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Did you try this with an E-PL5? Because I did, and flash settings have no effect on the shutter speed unless flash is being used.

The E-PL5 has no lower shutter speed setting related to Auto ISO.
  5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I haven't tried it with an E-PL5. I only have an E-P3 and E-M5. My understanding was that this was a long standing feature of how Olympus M43 cameras worked so I assumed it would also work for the E-PL5, especially since it shares the same sensor as the E-M5.
  6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    My apologies. I just checked this with my E-M5, where I knew the low flash shutter speed was set to 1/40 sec., and the ISO would go up before the shutter speed would go below 1/40 sec. (As you describe.) Then I checked my E-PL5 and the low flash shutter speed was set to 1/15 sec. I changed it to 1/40 sec., and it behaved identically to the E-M5.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Great tip. Thanks!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. CanonConvert

CanonConvert Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2012
    that is exactly what i was looking for! i can even customize the dials to adjust the f stop in A mode now!

• Like Like x 1
  9. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Changing "Flash Slow Limit" worked for me! EPL5 v1.1 firmware.

I set the camera to Aperture Priority with f1.7. By changing Flash Slow Limit the minimum shutter speed the camera used then altered.

Great find, thanks!
  10. TheWidget

TheWidget New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    Sheffield, UK
    Sorry to bump, but this was the only thread I could find via Google to help. It indeed works with latest firmware on the E-P5, but only for lenses that connect electronically. Olympus' own ยต43 body cap lenses, or any lens that needs a mechanical adapter, will use a default value of 1/100 as the minimum. Which is frustrating! Unless anybody knows a work around for that?

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Use Shutter priority mode, and auto ISO.

Also note auto ISO can be used in Manual mode on some cameras; there's a setting on the em1 to enable it.