how to clean dried spit off camera lens with lenspen

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by colbycheese, Mar 16, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So I just started using my camera after a few weeks of it sitting in the bag. I went to go do a lens inspection in case i needed to clean it and i saw these little spots with i assume are dried spit. I tried using the lens pen to remove it but no matter how much i try it is still there. Will this damage the lens since it has been on it for a few weeks? And how can I clean it? Also, how much would it cost to get the lens cleaned approximately? There is a lot of dried spit on it and i hope that i haven't wrecked it by cleaning with the lens pen.

2. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Human saliva I presume. Have you tried isopropyl alcohol?

3. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    Nikon claims human saliva has a slight acid in it that's damaging to lens coatings. I don't have any personal experience though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Would alcohol be safe to use? and what percentage? What about soap and water on a microfiber cloth?

5. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    A quick Google search reveals that isopropyl alcohol destroys coatings as well. Look up 'eclipse lens cleaner', which contains methanol, which is safe.

6. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    is there any household products that i could use? I really don't have the time to go and get something to clean it.

7. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    Cheapest brand new lens is $120+shipping. Lens cleaner is $8. If you really need it off right this second, try an extremely clean microfiber cloth dampened slightly with distilled water.

8. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    ok thanks

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing

don't take pictures of people in Marrakesh? :p

•••••••••••••Panasonic GX1 + Olympus 17mm f/2.8, Panasonic GF3, Konica FS-1 + Hexanon lenses, Konica C35v ••••••••••••••••

10. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    No problem, just take care of your lenses. Be religious with your caps! I don't even breathe while my sensor is exposed, lest my breath stir up dust.

11. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Yes I should have been more careful. I actually lost my lens cap and I just found it. Thank god it was in the bag almost the whole time!

12. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    Haha, no worries. I had my rear cap get left in the cup holder of my friend's truck the one day gee dropped me off after work. Thankfully I have a spare.

13. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    If you feel very brave, here's another alternative (Local stores should have this stuff sometimes)
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-Green-1-Qt-Denatured-Alcohol-QKGA75003/202249513

Which is mostly ethanol (~80-90%+ according to MSDS), with a little bit of methanol as a denaturing agent. Ethanol happens to be the same kind of alcohol you drink. Lightly put on a clean and soft cloth of microfiber (Or if you're really brave, a piece of brand new tissue and be light and gentle as you can, you can sometimes get away with this. I wouldn't recommend it, but in a pinch you can). Watch out for other denatured alcohols, check the MSDS. You generally want to avoid stuff that has a lot of methyl ethyl ketone in it. It is a solvent (As much as acetone) and I am not too sure about how it'll behave with plastics found on camera components.

If you don't like all that other stuff, Everclear 190 is a great source of high grade ethanol with water in it if you can get 190 proof in your state.

Or if you feel *really* brave and want to use high purity methanol:
    http://www.amazon.com/Methanol-Methyl-Alcohol-Bottle-Safety/dp/B0039CV4Q0/
    Or find a chemist supply place/etc.

Those two options will evaporate right off the surfaces insanely fast. Even moreso than 91% isopropyl (That 9% is water and bitterant agents) because you'll typically have 95% concentration of whatever it is and 5% of water (From the atmosphere)

Otherwise you can use eyeglass cleaner fluid (I'm not a fan of it, it tends to leave smears behind) or automotive detailing products*

*I have been doing this for a while, detailing spray as far as I can tell is fairly mild. The only issue is some of them tend to contain optical brighteners or whatnot. The ones that don't actually work really well, because some of them have anti static properties and oleophobic properties. I've been using Plexus on my LCD screen protector and "Adam's Detail Spray" for lens and filter cleaning. It doesn't seem to cause more reflections on my filters and it wipes off cleanly. When in doubt call the manufacturer or email them and ask if they're safe to use on optical grade glass.

All of these options are going to be lower cost than some of the sprays and cleaners out there. Some of them are practically what sensor cleaning fluids are (Straight high grade methanol or ethanol).

I bear no responsibility for how you use any of the things I suggested or what they'll do to your lenses or camera. Everything I posted is solely for informational purposes. They just work very well for me and I have other purposes for them.

14. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    When you say eyeglass cleaner, do you mean with benzalkoium chloride in it, or with ammonia? The first leaves horrible streaks, and ammonia was also on the 'destroys coatings' list. The benzalkonium chloride was better than nothing in a pinch though, and disinfects to boot.

15. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Here's ingredient list on my bottle of Costco "Multi-Purpose Lens Cleaner"
    Deionized Water
    Alkyl Sulfates
    Dehypound HSC 5515 (Described as a "Surfactant Concentrate (Proprietary Blend)" Surfactants, as in the stuff in soap or laundry detergent.)
    EDTA ("Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid" which is apparently a chelation agent. Something that can bind to metal ions. Molasses is also a chelating agent, which can be used to remove rust)
    Tetrasodium Salt
    Triethanolamine (Which is also a surfactant)

I'll see if I can get the MSDS on my bottle of detailing spray. So far it hasn't harmed my B+W XS Pro filters or the LCD protector. I've been using it on my computer LCDs and they haven't yellowed either.

16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    You can buy lens cleaner, but you don't need it. In my experience a little warm breath on the lens with a clean cloth or the lens pen is plenty to loosen up even oils and water spots etc. Simple, effective, and always available :wink:

17. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Ok, I think i am going to go see if my camera store sells the eclipse lens cleaner. What should I use to wipe the lens with? a micro fiber cloth?

18. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    what about residual oil remover? Has anyone had any experience with it? does it work?

19. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yes, it's the only lens cleaning solution I've ever purchased/used. Works just fine and it hasn't damaged anything.

Honestly though, I'd still just advise starting with just some warm breath and a clean microfiber cloth and/or lens pen.

20. colbycheese

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Ok. I tried using warm breath and it didn't help. So i bought the eclipse and lens cleaning tissue. How do i use this properly?