1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to check for shutter shock on G5 + P 14-140mm

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by davidedric, Jan 28, 2014.

1. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Hi,

I want to check out my G5 plus Pany 14-140mm set up to establish where, and if, and how much they suffer from shutter shock.

My plan is to set up indoors, on a tripod, with the usual 2 sec delay, OIS off, and a target with enough detail to be useful.

So, I want to manually vary the things that are likely to matter (focal length and shutter speed), fix the aperture at, say, f8 to make get the best from the lens, and let the ISO sort itself out.

Problem is that I can't find a way to do that. If I put the camera into Manual, then of course I can fix the shutter speed and aperture, but Auto ISO is disabled (Why???). I can try and juggle the ISO in the big preset steps to get the exposure correct, but there must be an easier way.

I will say that I have never used the camera in fully manual mode.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Dave

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Hmm.. maybe try Shutter priority or Program shift on P mode.
    I am not sure why you are turning off the OiS. Isn't it the interaction of the IS and the shutter shock that is causing the blurring ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. stronics

stronics Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 17, 2013
    If your wanting to test for shutter shock, vary the shutter in the range you want to test. Let the f-stop take care of itself on shutter priority. That is what I would try. I also agree to turn off the OIS when on a tripod. I would think a sharpness test of the f stops would be a separate test.
    Should be good to go,
    David

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Yes, I guess I'll let the f stop vary. The reason for wanting to fix it was partly to avoid any softness from wide open or diffraction to interfere, and partly my scientific upbringing which insists on only one variable at a time!

Thanks for replies

5. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
  6. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Thanks, Andrew. I'm read a lot of your articles and I found the one on setting up the G5 especially useful - I tweaked it slightly for my own use, but a really helpful basis. I just hadn't looked at it today.

I'm going to repeat the tests today. Fortunately I have a good tripod, and I plan to use one of my wife's fine cross stitch tapestries as a target - I know it is flat with fine detail.

My plan for shooting will be to have the E shutter on, and to use one of the custom settings with a faster shutter speed if I need to get quickly to an action setting. Makes sense?

Thanks for posting the response.

Dave