How to Change EM1.3 Eye cup

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
OK this probably sounds like an odd question as some people report these just falling off, but mine seems on very solid no movement at all.
I thought it would be just a push up and it would pop off, but not so. I don't want to break the existing eye cup replacing it with the big one as it took months just to get the big one.

Any tips from someone who has replaced one?

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
The bottom bar of the eyecup catches on the viewfinder in the middle. Carefully pry it away from the body and removal is straightforward after that.

IMG_3979.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
The bottom bar of the eyecup catches on the viewfinder in the middle. Carefully pry it away from the body and removal is straightforward after that.

View attachment 851950
It must be held on tight as I puled mine so the tab was clear of the holder and it would not push up and off. I did not wand to apply to much force and break the original one.
Think I will not change it till it falls off or something like other report.

Flexing the tab out past the holder below did not let me slide mine up and off. [in this case push down as it is upside down] I thought it would be easy :hmmm:

Oly eye Cup.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
With my MkII, it is all but impossible to remove using the thumbnail slot.

I find it much easier to use the pads of both thumbs on each side of the frame, and pressing 'downwards' (camera upside down on lap) and outwards with both at the same time. If that makes any sense ...

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
With my MkII, it is all but impossible to remove using the thumbnail slot.

I find it much easier to use the pads of both thumbs on each side of the frame, and pressing 'downwards' (camera upside down on lap) and outwards with both at the same time. If that makes any sense ...
Makes me wonder how so many people had theirs fall off over the years.

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
I sometimes think some people use cameras as hammers, or something ...

I had some rellies who could break anything ever made in short order. I mean, how do you break a clothes iron every few months? Our 'new' one is about 14 y.o.! The old one still works. I use it for iron on patches.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Makes me wonder how so many people had theirs fall off over the years.
One time-honored way is to carry the camera on a neck strap and go for a long, vigorous walk, allowing the eyepiece to bump and jostle against the clothing. Another is to repeatedly pull the camera quickly from a tight gear bag in which it has been stowed upside down. Neither is guaranteed to allow the eyecup ever to be found again but they're both sovereign cures for the attached-eyecup plague.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
One time-honored way is to carry the camera on a neck strap and go for a long, vigorous walk, allowing the eyepiece to bump and jostle against the clothing. Another is to repeatedly pull the camera quickly from a tight gear bag in which it has been stowed upside down. Neither is guaranteed to allow the eyecup ever to be found again but they're both sovereign cures for the attached-eyecup plague.
Good points.
I pondered my statement a bit after posting, since members have reported the eye pieces coming off, over the years.
Last night I checked how the camera fitted into some of my bags. With the think tank holsters the eye cup does not came into contact with the bag. These seem to be my main carry.
But with my shoulder bags and packs with the camera compartments at the bottom that can be slid off one shoulder for access the eye cup does indeed get dragged against the bag material in the direction of pulling it off.

I can also see how the neck strap could loosen it as well.

The EM1.3 is my first pro body and I have not used it much yet so that may also be a factor for it being tight.

Think I will wait till mine comes loose before changing it [or replacing it].

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I've had the eyecup come off my E-M5 (probably from pulling it from my shoulder bag), but the E-M1 series uses the same EP-12 eyecup (except E-M1X) with the modified latching bottom piece & I haven't had an issue with them.

bmhome1

just an old pro
Real Name
Bruce
My new to me EM5 M1's eye cup is very difficult to remove, without what seems to be excessive force. I can't imagine it coming off by brushing across body.

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
My new to me EM5 M1's eye cup is very difficult to remove, without what seems to be excessive force. I can't imagine it coming off by brushing across body.
The original E-M5 was hopeless. A lot of folks, myself included, gave up after the second or third lost eyecup. Some of us left the mounting bare, others glued the eyecup on. Perhaps you have one of the latter. The E-M5.2 was much better but not immune. I always keep a spare and have had to use it on occasion. The E-M1s have been better, and yet not perfect. It's not just Oly. My Nikons also had eyecup troubles. It's a small fiddly part, no matter what, and tough to design against all possibilities. I regard replacing eyecups as a cost of doing business. YMMV

Real Name
Walter
The original E-M5 was hopeless. A lot of folks, myself included, gave up after the second or third lost eyecup. Some of us left the mounting bare, others glued the eyecup on. Perhaps you have one of the latter. The E-M5.2 was much better but not immune. I always keep a spare and have had to use it on occasion. The E-M1s have been better, and yet not perfect. It's not just Oly. My Nikons also had eyecup troubles. It's a small fiddly part, no matter what, and tough to design against all possibilities. I regard replacing eyecups as a cost of doing business. YMMV

My friend used to lose his EM5 eyecup all the time. He'd have the camera hanging by his side when hiking and inevitably come home without an eyecup. I never did lose an EM5 eyecup, and although I have a spare EM1 eyecup, I have never used it. So maybe they changed the design to a more persistent one? :)

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
My friend used to lose his EM5 eyecup all the time. He'd have the camera hanging by his side when hiking and inevitably come home without an eyecup. I never did lose an EM5 eyecup, and although I have a spare EM1 eyecup, I have never used it. So maybe they changed the design to a more persistent one? :)
Indeed they did. The E-M5 eyecup had no bottom bar but was open. There were catches on both sides but, as the piece was excessively flexible due to the open bottom, these were easily released.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Friendly tip:
When creating a thread where a question is being asked it may be helpful to phrase it as a question or include a question mark.

I thought this thread was a how-to, which I already know.
I was going to skip this thread because removing an eye cup easily has never been a problem for me.

I decided to check in because this crowd is usually good for amusement.

I, too, have relatives who break just about anything, then blame the product.

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
The eyecup for my EM-5 refused to stay on, so I replaced it with an off-brand Nikon DK-23 eyecup—I bought a pack of five of them on eBay for ~$5, and I’ve only ever used one because it stays put very nicely.

Sujiar

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Suji
OK this probably sounds like an odd question as some people report these just falling off, but mine seems on very solid no movement at all.
I thought it would be just a push up and it would pop off, but not so. I don't want to break the existing eye cup replacing it with the big one as it took months just to get the big one.

Any tips from someone who has replaced one?
I found I had to use my R thumb to push and lift the RH bottom corner and when that was unattached repeat with the LH corner. It was hard...

khoi

Mu-43 Rookie
The eyecup for my EM-5 refused to stay on, so I replaced it with an off-brand Nikon DK-23 eyecup—I bought a pack of five of them on eBay for ~$5, and I’ve only ever used one because it stays put very nicely.

Actually if anyone needs one, send me a self-addressed stamp envelope and I'll send you one of the ones I've got. I'm never going to need them!

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
Actually if anyone needs one, send me a self-addressed stamp envelope and I'll send you one of the ones I've got. I'm never going to need them!
It's too late for me. There is now a thread for this sort of offer - here

Latest threads

Top Bottom