1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to change aperture w/adapted lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by bselorch, Jan 24, 2013.

1. bselorch

bselorch New to Mu-43

Jan 24, 2013
    I have a Minolta AF 35-105, 3.5-4.5 (the older beer can one) with adapter. When I put it on my G2 I can't figure out how to change the aperture. The only rings on the lens are focus and zoom. Nothing I do on the camera itself seem to change it or indicate what it is set at. As you can tell, I am somewhat new to this.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    You're out of luck if the lens does not have aperture ring on it. Not sure if there are adapters that allow aperture to be controlled for Minolta lenses like a few that work with Nikon G lenses. And, irrespective of the adapted lens (other than the four thirds lenses where adapters have contacts) used, you are not going to get aperture information in your camera. You'll have to memorize them :wink:. But, the good part is that the DOF is visible, so just turn the ring till you get the right DOF.

3. bselorch

bselorch New to Mu-43

Jan 24, 2013
    Thanks for your reply. So there is no way to know what the aperture is set at, never mind trying to change it? An adapted lens w/o an aperture ring is pretty much useless?

4. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    IMO, yes. Most of the adapted lenses perform very well when stopped down, but if you don't have a way of changing the aperture, then they're pretty much useless. Having said that, most adapted lenses do have aperture rings on them. Not sure about Minolta AF though.

5. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    I don't know if this will help or not. The same problem exists with Canon EF lenses. I've read - but not tried - this: Before removing the lens from the camera it is supposed to be on, stop it down via depth of field preview to a useful aperture of, say, f5.6. Then remove the lens and put in on the G2. You're still stuck with a fixed aperture, but at least it is not wide open. I don't know if this will work for you or not, or if it will cause any damage. Like the previous poster said, such lenses are pretty useless when used with an adapter. There are so many good fully manual lenses available at good prices, it's not worth fooling with something that won't work.

6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I wouldn't say that its useless - assuming that its default setting is with the aperture wide open, you can still shoot with it at its maximum aperture. It just may not be at its sharpest and you'll be limited in the DOF you'll be able to achieve.

7. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    That works, but you'd have to carry a Canon DSLR along with you :wink:. But, there are EF -> m43 adapters that let's you change aperture on the EF lens.

8. bselorch

bselorch New to Mu-43

Jan 24, 2013
    Are there Minolta> m43 adapters that let you change aperture? If so, what exactly would they be called?

9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Ah! the curse of electronics. I don't know the Minolta, but my guess is that the aperture was controlled electronically from the camera -- like all our 4/3 and m4/3 lenses. There are lots of very high quality manual focus Minolta lenses out there, though, that you should be able to stop down from the lens. A good adapter will hold the lens at the aperture you choose.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Don't waste time adapting electronic auto focus lenses. They will not communicate with your camera. The older Minolta MC and MD manual lenses are definitely worth the time though.

11. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I believe the mount is called "A mount" and is still in use on Sony SLR/T's. It appears some adapters do allow aperture control, but will not have the 'click' stops, rather just a dial that allows continuous stopping down until reaching the extreme aperture settings of the lens.

Here is one that appears to suit what you're after on eBay:
    Sony AF Minolta A Lens to Micro 4 3 M43 M4 3 Mount Adapter G3 GX1 EP3 OM D MAM43 | eBay

In the description it states "Function: with aperture control ring (the aperture marks on the adapter is just for reference, it may different from the actual value in different lens)", so it should work.

I have no experience with the seller and do not own any A mount lenses or adapters, but I do have the Nikon G adapter which has an aperture control ring that functions in much the same way.

You can have some idea of what your aperture is if you either shoot in full manual mode or keep a close eye on your exposure settings. I have a couple cctv lenses that have no click stops. If I use a lens with a starting aperture of 1.4 on A mode, and the camera sets the shutter speed to 1/2000 and the ISO to 200, then I begin stopping down and the ISO is still 200 but the shutter speed is now 1/500, I know my aperture is now at 2.8... The shutter speed has slowed down 2 stops, so the aperture must have closed 2 stops. Not ideal and more complicated with your zoom but workable for me, maybe it can be for you too?

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The very best adapter would be a Sony A99 ... failing that an A33, A57, etc etc.