How to carry EM1 ii with 300mm f4 lens

bkspero

Mu-43 Rookie
How do you carry your EM1 camera with a heavy lens attached? The manual for my m.zuiko 300mm f4 lens says the following:

"Do not hold only the camera body without holding the lens. The waterproofing characteristic or optical performance may not be maintained."

I can read this in two ways. One, don't try to take a photo without supporting the lens as the waterproofing and image quality will be compromised by the weight of the lens on the camera. Or, two, don't pick up or carry the camera by the body if this lens is attached, as it could permanently distort and damage the lens mount.

I always support the lens when taking a photo, so if it is number 1, above, then I am ok. So far I have also carried the camera by the lens as I walk with it, but that gets tiring after awhile. I would like to attach the body to a harness that I could let hang against my chest. However I am afraid to do that as the lens will not be supported in that configuration.

How do you do it?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've seen MANY people hold a camera by only holding the camera body, one hand on either side of the body, not under the body.
That works for short lenses, but gets harder the longer and heavier the lens is. Then they can't hold the set up steady = blurring.

Holding only the body has always been an issue since way back in my early days of SLRs.
What was that long/heavy lens doing to the lens mount/camera body?

The bigger and heavier the lens, the more stress you place on the lens mount/body frame junction.
And when the lens weighs X times more than the body, that is significant stress.
The lens mount is attached to the frame with relatively small screws, not 1/4x20. And the frame is not beefy enough for large screws.
So the heavier the lens, the more stress on the screws.

I have a pouch type lens case that I attach to a wide belt, and stick the camera+lens into that.
Only the lens goes in. But that supports the setup without the lens pulling down on the lens mount.

Get a strap system that allows you to attach to the tripod socket of the lens. That way you are directly supporting the majority of the weight (the lens).

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't have the 300 f4, but I have 40-150 Pro, Oly 100-400 and both TCs. I think my lens manuals both say the same thing.

I tend to carry the lens when walking, often by its tripod collar, and let the camera body hang around my neck by its strap. I swap the lens from left hand to right hand periodically to prevent fatigue. When taking a photo, I always take the majority of weight in my left hand and just steady the camera with my right.

bkspero

Mu-43 Rookie
AC12 and PeeBee, thanks for the input. I found out what you mean by fatigue from holding the lens in 1 hand for an extended period this AM<G>. That's what triggered my question. I'm going to try and over the shoulder camera sling strap attached to the tripod foot of the lens. Fingers crossed.

Real Name
Walter
I have an Oly 100-400 f5-6.3, which is only about 100 g lighter than the 300 f4. Before that, I had a 4/3rd 50-200 SWD and that wasn't that light either. Ditto @Baenwort's suggestion. I have settled on using an OpTech Lens Loop to clip my rig to a sling strap. The loop takes the weight and doesn't put strain on the body strap lugs. I would not trust carrying the camera and lens by the strap lugs alone. I don't like carrying a lens or body by the tripod mount.

Here's my setup. Because of the multiple QD connectors I have on the camera, I can clip a second strap to various spots on the camera to spread the load or act as a safety strap.
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/strap-or-harness-for-cameras-and-binoculars.111018/post-1466191

I generally carry the lens/body cradled in my left arm folded across my chest. I find that I sometimes have to switch arms when it gets too heavy. I always have one hand under the lens and the other gripping the body when shooting, if I don't use my Wimberley Mono-gimbal and a monopod. I trust the Lens Loop and sling to hold the weight of the big lens/body combo, even when the body is an EM1X, and have no qualms about letting it hang from the sling.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Here's how I carry my E-M1 and 300mm f4 :
IMG_20200618_110448.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The tripod collar is at 90 degrees rotation and has a Peak Design foot on it. I also have a PD foot on the bottom of the camera. Both of these have Anchors so the strap has attachment points to let the camera and lens sling with the bottom of the camera against my body. When I use shorter lenses I use the Anchor on the end of the body you see here and the one on the bottom. There's a hand strap on the other end of the camera.
Works like a hot damn with the 300 and the 40-150mm f2.8.

Last edited:
Real Name
Richard
I carry my EM1 2 and a big(ger) lens by the tripod feet of the lens
I hold onto same when taking a photo. Panasonic 100-400, Olympus 40-150 with TC
To me it's comfortable arrangement, both physically and from the concern of it coming adrift from the camera

Real Name
Paul
Word(s) of warning with the Optech lens loops: when I did that with my M1mkI and 4/3 150 little tuna, I had a couple instances where -somehow- the walking / bouncing managed to let the loop hit the lens release and allow the body to drop to the ground. Your results may vary, but the second traumatic event let me know it wasn't a freak occurrence so I switched to the Optech dongle thingys that attach to the tripod mount. You can adjust the positioning of the tripod mount to make sure everything's protected, and I now make sure everything rides well before heading off on foot. These days, I typically carry a M1mkIII / 300 combo that way with no issues so far.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I also use the OpTech lens loops. They're about $10 for a pair. When I change lenses and put on my Oly 100-400 I quickly disconnect the strap from the body and reattach to the lens loops.
Piece of cake, and very affordable.

The loops sit forward of the tripod foot so the problem mentioned elsewhere (hitting the lens release button) hasn't been an issue.
I seldom walk w/o having a hand on/under the lens.

I carry mine like @Carbonman does, except I modified my tripod foot to take the PC connector directly.

50496167272_a310a462e1_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
EM124121-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom