How to become a better photographer...

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
good points ...especially the take lots of photos and try and replicate photos you like.

I would also add

1) carry a camera whenever you can

2) build up a series of things you are looking out for... for me its Vespa scooters, hidden faces in inanimate objects, interesting grafitti. It doesn't matter what it is but it means your mind is focussed on looking. I have even gone out and shot numbers or letters of the alphabet... e.g. go out for a walk and find a number 1 - take a picture then look for a number 2 etc. You could do it with colors or whatever. Of course if you see something else good then take that... but its a good exercise to do

3) almost always get closer...

4) Turn around sometimes an look at whats behind you

5) The quality of the image is much more important than image quality

K

Iansky

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks Brian, good link.

I would add the following:

1. Always have a camera with you, a photo is only good if you get it - don't let it be the one that got away!
2. When you see a subject that appeals to you, take the image then stop, look, walk around and try and find a more interesting/dramatic angle.
3. Don't be a fair weather photographer - use the elements to create mood.
4. Shoot in B&W as it encourages you to be more observant and use light & shade as well as shape rather than the colour of the subject.
5. Shoot, shoot, shoot the more the better!

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
Put the pixel peepers in a locked room together and let them fight it out with some blunt tripods :smile:

I would make sure the 4 walls of the room were painted subltly different shades of the same colour and see if they noticed :smile:

Actaully no.... of course for pixel peepers it should be a bare brick wall.... oh imagine their frustration of seeing that and not having a camera :)

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Kevin, you really need to spend more time around here... we love your sense of humour :rofl: :friends:

Cheers

Brian

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Another thing very important is to not make images at all.
Here's what I mean. The process is called, "Re-photographed".

While it's all fine and dandy to aspire to learn from other shooters, you will learn more from your own work than theirs. The reason being is that while you may feel a connection to another's image, with your own, you have a connection, it's nothing you have to TRY to feel.

So make images for a month or so and don't sweat what your getting. It should be obvious which ones you like almost immediately.
Process those and move on.
Here's the trick and the work.

At the beginning of the next cycle, or month...spend at least 1 day just looking at your images from the previous month/cycle. Don't use your camera...just re-photograph what you already have.

Then, look at the images you really like...pay strict attention as to what number the frame was in the shooting sequence you did.

Example...you made a series of images and have 7 in the series. This means a sequence that was done in rapid time....
Look at the 1 you really like...say it's number 3. Mark it with a star, flag or color in your software catalog.
Do this for every sequence of images you did.

Look at your catalog and study the images and try to find the TRIGGER images.
Triggers are what makes you press the release. The eye is not the organ of photography, the finger is. It is what decides and when to release.

After a while spending time looking at your images, you will start to identify what turns you on. You will become more aware of what YOU want and what triggers your finger.

In time your sequence will become shorter and shorter. I usually make 1 and maybe 2 images per trigger release. Why, because I am aware of my triggers so I don't have to hunt during a shooting sequence, just wait for the time/place to work together.

So, try this and if you have any issues, please contact me anytime...I will be glad to walk you thru it.

I know this is probably contrary to what others think but it is the best way to get to know yourself....

shooter

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
In response to a PM.
This is not editing. Editing lets you find images, it just gets images that you may have missed.

The re-photographing is a learning tool. Your not editing anything, your teaching yourself what you already know but didn't realize you know....

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
BB,
We all have different cameras, lenses, processors, computers, ideas, thoughts..but...
there is one important common denominator...
we all have passion for the next image......
that's what makes it work....
shooter

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
I regard my pictures as lucky accidents

but as arnold palmer said

“It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get”

K

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
I prefer the Edna Mode quote (from The Incredibles)
"Luck favors the prapared darling"

:rofl:

Cheers

Brian

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
lets call the street stuff opportunistic accidents :) Planning implies an expected outcome.

Other times i do slow down and think a bit more

K

Latest threads

Top Bottom