How to apply prefocus / hyperfocal distance using E-P3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zerotiu, Oct 20, 2011.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    Hi! My 14mm came a few days ago and I want to try prefocus with that lens for some street photo.

I can't find any distance information (like in fuji X100) and of course the tiny pancake doesn't have distance info in it.

So I the only way is to focus at an object and than switch to MF. It's too slow if we apply this on street. I know we can always rely on E-P3 blazing AF :D.

But in low light + built in flash, MF+pre focus is needed too. Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks! :)

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The only native m43 that makes zone focus or hyperfocal shooting easy is the Olympus 12mm, which has a little sleeve (I've seen it referred to as a foreskin) that pulls back to both put the lens in manual mode and reveal a DOF scale like on the old manual lenses. And the focus ring, although still technically focus by wire, FEELS like a traditional old manual lens in this mode.

With any other lens, the only way to do it requires the use of the AFL/AEL button. I don't recall if there is a dedicated button for this on the EP3 (just checked - no it doesn't), but you can customize one of the fn buttons or the red video button to do this job - I use the video button on the EPL3. Once you set it up so that you have an AFL button that will focus and then lock focus at that distance, you essentially figure out the hyperfocal distance yourself, use the AFL button to focus on something as close to that distance as possible, and then just fire away. Given the lack of precision for this, I tend to use the AFL button to focus on something at the approximate distance I'm shooting and just stop down far enough that I have a good wide DOF, the best shortcut I've found for zone focussing.

Sorry, there isn't an easier way to do this. Other than lay out the green for the 12mm!

-Ray

• Like Like x 3