1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How to adjust C mount-to-M43 adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ohaya, Mar 24, 2016.

1. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi,

I recently got one of the Fujian 35mm C-mount lenses and it came with a C-mount-to-M43 adapter (Show us what your adapted lens looks like on your camera). It works ok, but one of the things that bothers me is that when I attach the lens to the mount adapter and the adapter to my E-PL2, the aperture and focus distance numbers all end up to the side of the lens.

So I was messing with it tonight, and I noticed that there's a small set screw that screws into the backside of the adapter, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I thought that if I loosened the screw, that I'd be able to rotate the angle of the adapter, but the adapter looks like it's just one solid disk of metal.

Should I be able to adjust the adapter so that the lens ends up in the right orientation?

Maybe I need to get a different/better/adjustable C-mount to m43 adapter? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Trying to answer my own question: I think I figured it out, or at least figured out one way to do this. On the mount end of the lens, there're 3 screws. If I remove those, the metal plate at the end of the lens come off. The threads are part of that plate, so if I rotate the plate to a different angle then put the screws back in, then the lens ends up with the numbers on top when it's in the mount.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    I've also got an issue with my adaptors no longer fitting in an e-m1 whereas they went in ok (albeit somewhat tight) into my e-m5. Has anyone tried grounding down the lip so the paints off and it goes in easier?

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've had to very carefully file away material from the lobes (locking pieces) until it fitted. If you do that, make sure every tiny metal shaving is totally cleaned off & gone before fitting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    I have bought another one to try just in case its these particular ones i have but if not, ill give it a go with some sandpaper. Definitely conscious of the shavings so i`ll probably give it a bath and scrub once ive finished. I suspect mine are just a tad too thick for it to rotate in the e-m1 whereas the e-m5 its perfectly fine (albeit a bit tight). Thanks for the tip!

6. Ross the fiddler

It's not sandpaper that would work too well but a jeweller's flat file (with a safe edge) to file away material on the underside of the locking lobes which will make the spacing bigger to allow a possible fit in the camera's lens mount. Sandpaper would only do a very rough job, if at all. Hopefully the different make of adapter will be OK to start with.

7. Perzzza

Perzzza New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2016
    Hi guys and gals! I'm new to this forum, so let's start with ease. I've got yesteday my copy of Fujian 25mm 1.4, which seems great fun for portraits. I've never seen this kind of vibrant color rendition in cheap lenses.

But, like many other have had, I have a problem: it won't focus to infinity. My body is E-M1 and it seems it won't go deep enough to enable infinity focus. Is there any fix for this or is it just a feature?

8. Ross the fiddler

That means it isn't close enough to the sensor & by any normal means it isn't fixable (AFAIK), unless there is an adapter that would get it closer than the one you have.

9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Ive found the cheapest no-name mounts are the best to achieve infinity. They are much thiner than the branded ones.

10. Ross the fiddler

I bought one of the cheap ones but it was also too tight a fit which required under filing of the lobes to be able to turn it to lock in the camera
    (as I mentioned above). It shouldn't be forced unless you're happy to damage the camera. :rolleyes: I only use it with a cheap 8mm fisheye C mount lens & it does infinity OK with that.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
  11. metaphorce

metaphorce Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2016
    I got a Fotasy C-mount adapter, and it focuses to infinity with an old 16mm movie lens (25mm Super Comat). I've had good luck with Fotasy adapters on my E-pm1. If your adapter is a single piece of metal, I doubt it could be adjusted even by grinding (unless the metal is quite thick).

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    Thanks for that tip - i bought another ebay adaptor and it was even harder to fit on my e-m1 (without grinding yet). I`ll give the fotasy adaptor a go for the princely sum it goes for and let you all know. I dont want to invest $60+ in a metabones adapter as I am only missing a fast prime lens in the 12-20mm range (i've got 30mm and 50mm covered). I'd rather that money go to a good m43 prime if i cant get away with it cheap using adapters.

13. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I dont think it would be possible to damage the camera with a tight fitting adapter. Thick brass mount vs thin aluminum adapter. Even if is starts out being a tight fit, after a short period of time the aluminum will burnished ang conform to the mount as it is exchanged with the usage of other lenses.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  14. Ross the fiddler

If you want to damage yours, then that's your choice, but believe me, mine was far too tight & I would have damaged the camera had I forced it. It definitely needed material removed from the lobes before I could turn it.