1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'How To Achieve Blurred Backgrounds In Portraits'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Oct 26, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Great article, except that it's completely wrong. With identical subject size in the frame DOF is identical for any focal length on the same sensor. Look at the slats on the screen door. The amounts blur is the same.

In those examples the subject appears to have more isolation due to differences in perspective and compression, not DOF.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I only browsed through the article, but I didn't see him referring to Depth of Field at all. All I saw was him noting how distance from subject (that difference in perspective and compression you speak of) is a more important factor to creating that "blurred background" than aperture size (and that shallow DOF created by a large aperture). Meaning that anyone can create that blurred background by using a longer focal length to frame the same crop, and that you don't need a crazy-fast lens to do it. This could also be applied to "you don't need full frame to blur the background" as well, as he is debunking the myth that shallow DOF is all there is to creating a "blurred background". I see nothing wrong with what he says, and what I read (again, from a quick scan) seems to be stating the opposite of your comment. Perhaps you misunderstood him? Or maybe I just missed any shallow DOF comment, but the main gist of his article looked fine to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was expecting a photoshop tutorial on throwing down a blur tool on the background ...

Out here in California we place the subject on a vibration isolation pier and wait for an earthquake and use motion of the background for blur effects. Still waiting ...

• Like Like x 1
  5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    :rofl:

6. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    You are Absolutely right. I stand corrected. I rushed the reading.

Gordon