How things work - AF and Shutters

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcr1230, Jan 24, 2014.

1. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm curious if anyone can explain AF in mirror less vs DSLR

My understanding is that with olympus E-M1, there are dedicated
    AF pixels on the sensor

I assume for contrast based AF - you can read these pixels quickly
    The more "grey" there is the less focused, the more of high and low values
    Found - the better the focus, when the lens changes focus, the fewer the mid values

When no better result is found - you are in focus
    Is this about right?

Now - another related question - why do we need a mechanical shutter?
    While the camera is focusing, the sensor is exposed. If we can read pixels in real time for focus, can't we electronically flush the sensor, start a clock , and read the sensor after a brief interval

Is the shutter needed to start the sensor from "empty" and close the door after exposure while the sensor is read and the values recorded?

I hope this makes sense

For DSLR is the AF sensor in the prism? Or behind the mirror (partially silvered?)

Once the DSLR AF sensor determines best focus - the shutter is opened and closed etc and the picture recorded

Is focus faster on DSLRs because they have a dedicated AF sensor instead of a dual purpose image+AF sensor?

Is the theoretically more accurate focus possible on mirrorless due to the focus being read on the same sensor that will record the image? I suppose it's possible that a dedicated AF sensor is slightly off in optical distance and doesn't precisely match the picture recording sensor

Anyway I hope I was clear - if anyone has time and patience to explain and correct,
    Much appreciated

2. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    I found a good explanation about CDAF -
    http://photographylife.com/how-phase-detection-autofocus-works

Seems mostly like I thought
    Not sure though why if you can have PDAF pixels
    Built into the image sensor - why can't you theoretically focus just as fast as a DSLR

Interesting to note that PDAF is similar to rangefinder focusing and the system
    Can know when it is back or front focused - that's primarily why it's faster than CDAF

Now to look for the answer to the shutter question

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.