How strongly do you feel an affinity with other mirrorless ILC users?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by MarylandUSA, Sep 15, 2013.

1. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Would a domestic shorthair cat feel an affinity with a bobcat, cheeta, tiger, or lion? I suspect she would. The Fox and the Hound even suggested this affinity among canines.

What about you, M43 camera user? On a scale of 0 to 10, where 0 = "not in the least," 7 = "kissin' cousins," and 10 = "my brother!", how close do you feel to someone who uses....

• your preferred brand and model of M43 body?
    • your preferred brand of M43 body, but a different model?
    • an other-branded M43 body?
    • a bridge camera made by your brand of M43 body?
    • a non-M43 mirrorless camera--say, a Samsung, Sony, Funi, Canon, or Nikon?

In my case, I would say I feel ....
    10 for someone else using a Panasonic G3
    9 for someone using a Panasonic M43 body other than the G3 (9.5 if it uses an electronic viewfinder)
    8 for someone using an Olympus M43 body or Lumix bridge camera or compact (8.5 if it uses an electronic viewfinder)
    7 for someone using a mirrorless ILC by someone other than Canikon
    6 for someone using a Canikon mirrorless ILC
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, it's nice talking gear, but really, I can't say I feel any special affinity to one photographer over another just because they use brand A vs brand B. It sounds facile I know, but it's the images that count!
  3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I am afraid that a lion or tiger would look at a bobcat or domestic cat as food. Not sure where the cheetah fits in.

Not sure that I feel an affinity simply because of the lack of a mirror on a camera. I do feel an affinity for others who are obviously serious about the art and craft of taking excellent, or even good, photos.
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    please please somebody tell me this is a wind up!!!
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I'm almost totally brand disloyal, I buy what suits me at the time based on the appeal of the product that I'm looking for. I do find it easier to compare notes with someone using the same system as me though so...

8 for someone else using an EM-5 or any other another Olympus or Panasonic mu-43 body
    7 for someone using a Nikon DSLR (I've still got my DSLR gear)
    5 for someone using a mirrorless camera (non micro 43) or a DSLR with differing mount to mine
    5 for someone using a 'serious compact' (I've got a 'serious compact')
    2 for someone using a bridge camera
    1 for someone using a non-serious compact camera
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Actually, I think I'd give an affinity rating in inverse exponential proportion to how important affinity ratings are for them!
  7. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    I guess this works like sports teams. High-five if you're on mine.
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Zero across the board. Its just a camera... no different than shoes, shirt, pants, the car you drive , etc...

Sports teams a bit different since you are rootin for the success of a team.
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When I see a fellow Pen user I ask him out for a beer. Usually within a week we've moved in together.
    • Like Like x 9
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    No more affinity than I felt for the people who owned Nikons or Leicas or anything else. :confused:
  11. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Whenever I meet another E-M5 user, it's as if time slows down. The rest of the World seems to darken, and it's as if spotlights are shining on just the two of us (positioned just so in a Rembrandt lighting setup). The moment we saw each others camera - we knew. We simply - knew.

Eyes meet as we begin to cross paths - squinting, of course (everyone knows that 80% of 'model face' is in the squint). No words are exchanged - none are needed. Just the faintest of nods, an action so underplayed, yet so weighted with meaning. Just like a 75mm f/1.8 with metal hood attached feels like in the hand. Not overly heavy, but solid - strong. A feeling of supreme confidence.

We are unique. We are special - a rare breed. We're in the club.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    What? Feel an affinity to another? Misanthropes unite! (Separately of course)
  13. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    In other forums, I've seen threads take the same errant trajectory that mine has taken. A question is posed, and, after one or two forum members respond with belittlement, others feel they must respond in kind or they'll look like chumps. As soon as positive replies are posted by two members back to back, other forum members feel comfortable doing likewise.

By contrast, another Mu-43 thread, asking forum members how often they spot other M43 cameras, got off on a positive footing and stayed there; no one replied, in effect, "Why do you care what other photographers use?"

I don't believe that so few of you feel zero affinity with users who share your camera preferences in one or more ways.
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I don't judge a person by their gear...
  15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Absolutely zero.

I'd rather shoot with someone who has passion and an iPhone than a loser with a GH3.

16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I think you are mistaking attempts at humor for belittling. Your question seems a bit unusual to me, and, apparently, to others. That's not meant as a put down, just an observation. Chrysler once sent me a survey asking how my new car made me "feel". It struck me as very odd - I buy a car for basic transportation, not as a status symbol. For many folks here a camera is a tool. It serves a useful function and they look for the most effective tool.
    That being said, I enjoy seeing others who appreciate :43:. I enjoy talking with them and comparing experiences. I suppose that might be an affinity, but I never thought to measure the intensity of it. :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Maybe this is a subtle hint as to why I was one of the few who attempted to answer the OP's original question seriously.

I totally grok companies sending out surveys asking their customers about how their products make their buyers feel because 'feel' is a large part of why I buy items.

Sure, I wouldn't buy a product that didn't do the job I intended it to do but given two products of roughly equal functionality (like the GH3... yuck ugly blob and the EM-1... hmmm cool looking) and other factors being equal (like price, warranty etc) then I'll almost always choose the one that makes me 'feel' pride of ownership.

That applies every bit as much to what cameras I buy as it does to say why I bought a Harley rather than a cruiser from another company.

Cameras aren't white goods, they aren't all washing machines or fridges in which people have no emotional attachment, people are often invested into their purchases (and no that doesn't mean they are necessarily fan boys).

It means (at least I believe so) that enthusiasts are enthusiastic about their hobbies and I thought that the original poster was attempting to quantify how much enthusiasm existed :2thumbs:
  18. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

At this point in time I feel a kindred spirit with anybody shooting with a CAMERA and not their phone or tablet! Of coarse other m4/3 users are closer kin than say a Fuji or Sony shooter. I feel the same for anybody who uses Nikon since I still shoot DSLR some of the time. Heck feel more love for person using a compact than a phone!
    • Like Like x 2
  19. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    9 with anybody who takes pictures, really
    10 if it's a hot chick

...can't believe I replied to one of "those" threads...
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I suspect not. She might become dinner?