How sophisticated is Amazons pricing and tracking?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jeff Bennett, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
  2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I too have noticed different pricing on items on different days. Also, I have seen higher pricing when I am logged in to there site, versus what I saw in another browser in a google product search (competitive).

Oh well, usually I am still able to find the best price there and there service is top-notch (talking about Amazon direct and not resellers that use their site).
  3. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Different pricing on different days, or within a single day, is absolutely normal.

I always assumed that the pricing was global, across all customers.

There's absolutely nothing stopping them for offering customer-specific pricing. As the OP pointed out, the data is there to perform such logic. It wouldn't surprise me. However, it would leave the door open for exploitation, although the algorithm would be able to check for obvious attempts to game the system.
  4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Unless it's changed since I worked for them, no, they don't offer specials to individuals based on their browsing (or anything else really). The system no doubt tracks views and such and is part of the pricing equation but how that algorithm works I don't know.

If you're interested you can use something like camelcamelcamel to see how prices have gone up and down in the past. There's a plugin on Chrome (maybe others browsers) that allows you to just click on an icon while you're on the amazon product page and it will bring up a graph. You can see some real loony pricing going on sometimes.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Amazon prices and airfare ticket prices. Just need to make the purchase when the cost reaches an acceptable price. Wondering if placing items in the "Wish List" is a bad or good idea?
  6. Jeff Bennett

Jeff Bennett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Well I bought it. $185 was a great price for that adapter. Just thought is was crazy the price reduced 2x in one day then went back up the next day. Felt a bit like the "what do I have to do to get you to buy this car today Mr. Bennett" line. lol
  7. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

185$ for an adapter, ouch...