How Sharp Is M43 Format? This Sharp!

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Where do you get the arrogance bit or that non-users are considered lesser photographers? I for one stated quite clearly that it's situation dependent, but to refuse same in all and any situation is crazy. I did sports photography for many years and a monopod was essential, tripods were impractical. Others have also quite clearly elaborated on their thoughts in a similar vein. You've read far too much into this and read it quite incorrectly at that.

From this quote for JNB. I don't think I read too much into this or incorrectly at that.

"After chatting for a while, I asked him what tripod he'd settled on. He said he'd never used a tripod. 'Nuff said."

JNB has since added qualifiers to his previous statement for clarification. I don't disagree that tripods can improve many photos. I do believe that belittling someone because they don't use a tripod is arrogant.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
From this quote for JNB. I don't think I read too much into this or incorrectly at that.

"After chatting for a while, I asked him what tripod he'd settled on. He said he'd never used a tripod. 'Nuff said."

JNB has since added qualifiers to his previous statement for clarification. I don't disagree that tripods can improve many photos. I do believe that belittling someone because they don't use a tripod is arrogant.

In the context that JNB was talking, it wasn't arrogance, but quite a sensible observation of the other photographer. That he wasn't quite clear as to the context initially, doesn't change things; you made an assumption (I made the opposite assumption), through lack of information and not seeking clarification, and got it wrong.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
I dislike using a tripod, only because I have to carry it around for all the other shots that didn't require it... however almost every shot I take using it will be better for to it's use. My tripod use with film is different entirely, I use the tripod as much as I can (even pushing to use it when I can't really get away with it, using it as a monopod... etc).

With digital I prefer monopod over tripod, combined with IBIS it's easy to get to shutter speeds where the camera/image is more stable than the subject anyway... Not to mention the fact that you generally have enough DoF to get things in focus at wider apertures so stopping down matters even less (assuming you want the same field of view).

I use a heavy old Manfrotto, I've considered upgrading to the newer versions however the weight of it has advantages with stability, I also prefer the older style wing nut adjusters to the newer quick release...in practice I don't really find them all that much slower and I've never had problems with them (this tripod would be 20 years old and shows almost no signs of wear). I use a velbon monopod which is absolutely fantastic, light and pretty strong, slides into itself and is very compact so I can sneak it into venues if needed.

scott2hot

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
scott
Here's some sharp for you... taken by scott2hot with GX7 and Pana/Leica 25/1.4 lens:

Thanks for the compliment Don....According to DXO...the panasonics are not even as sharp as the olmpus bodies...with comparable lenses...PHOOEY is what i say...sharp enough for me , and wide open at F1.4.....had a nikon D600 and various nikon d7000 variants with primes all had to be stopped down a lot to get this kind of sharpness....M4/3 is for me tried n tested sweet spot and i wont be going back any other system:dance3:

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
It is nice to know that M43 can be nice and sharp.

minnnt

Mu-43 Regular

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Many people simply pixel-peep with screen images and never print large. It's only when you print very large that you can see the real differences between m4/3, APS-C and FF, given properly exposed photographs. I've mentioned previously that I've truly surprised other photographers when they've seen my 17"x22" prints from a 5MP E-1, thinking they have been produced with something completely different.

Quite. One of my current favorites is a shot of a baboon I took in Tanzania - it's ever so slightly Motion blurred (E-M1 ibis, 50-200 with 1.4 TC racked out) due to low shutter speed (1/30 or so) at ISO 3200. The print is lovely at normal viewing distance, plenty of detail at 80x40 cm.

Latest threads

Top Bottom