how reliable is face detection em1.2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by genesimmons, May 15, 2017.

1. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    hi all, recently took some shots of a friends baby, i figured she may be moving around so i chose face priority and continuous focus, shutter was between 200-250 and aperture wasf4 iso 200. took quite a few and quite a few were soft, face detect white box confirmed every shot but seemed very hit and miss on what was sharp and soft, i have seen many awesome images with the combo i have em1.2 and 12-100 pro and not sure why i am struggling with this camera. ill try and post a screen shot of the settings and crop,

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

This is based on the Mk1... face detect works just fine, I have less confidence in C-AF though... I normally stick to S-AF unless the subject is guaranteed to be moving at such a speed that S-AF won't work.

3. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    ill try it again in saf, i read that face detect worked better in cont af, i was very disappointed in the keeper rate, i recently shot some bmx riders using af tracking and again poor keeper rate, almost starting to think i got a bum 12-100 or bum em1,2 i seem to really be struggling with this camera much more than any other camera i have owned

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

The problem might be that Olympus suck at C-AF/TR which I believe face detect is related to. You'll find that normal C-AF is actually okay on the Mk1 and apparently good on the Mk2. The reviewers were all somewhat disappointed in the C-AF/TR performance, however...

5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    It's recommended that you post images when asking such questions as that makes it easier to determine what may be happening. It could be your shutter speed, which is usually the issue in blurred or soft images, or it could be that for the situation you might need f5.6 of f8 as you might move a bit after the camera locks focus.

6. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    ill try and post an image cropped in and the exif data, i am out of town and the wifi is limited and incredibly slow, the 17mb raw file would take 10-15 min believe it or not haha

7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Don't need to post the RAW, a jpg is good enough as long as it's at least 2,000 px on the long side.

8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    My first thought when talking about soft photos when using CAF on an Olympus camera is always micro focus adjust. I am way to tired to type a bunch a stuff about it or to even search and link threads. I have talked and talked and talked about this subject, so a search of the forum should bring up lots of information if you are curious.

Note to self - hurry up and write up your massively detailed thread about micro focus adjustment.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AlfaKen

AlfaKen New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2017
    If appropriate please include some background info. As someone new to this technology (I've been taking pictures for 60+ years), I find a lot of the discussions start off assuming previous knowledge. I'm overwhelmed by all the abbreviations and stop reading. I switched to Olympus em-1 Mk ii from Nikon D810 but I've never used any of the many many customizations and adjustments provided by these cameras so I'm probably missing a lot. - selfish mode off

10. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I tried CAF all the time when I first got my Mkii. Same problem ,vague,soft focus. I found it works best when I switched to multiple focal points ,on. Just the center 9. Use electronic shutter.Sensitivity is set at -1. Now it works much much better. If you want good shots with the camera and center focus I would stick with S-AF in the baby picture. Use center focal box and electronic or regular setting. Face detection works fine but sometimes detects things that are not faces.
    Also you did not comment on the lighting. Push ISO if it is dark. The results are variable ,in terms of noise. Noise reduction in computer processor will resolve this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    It's a baby... you assumed it would be moving at such a speed that you would need CAF. mmmm don't know too many babies that fast... toddlers yes babies no.
    So when the reality set in taking the photos did you actually switch back to tried and safe SAF.
    Face detect is really really good but again seems like it was the wrong choice and you failed to adapt on the fly and want to continue to blame the camera like always for what seems more like poor decisions in using the innate technology presented in the camera.
    Technology is not the answer to good photos it just assists the capable to improve further.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    awsome info, thank u all very much, i should clarify, not quite a baby, 22 months, she was moving so thats why i figured caf would work best, i was outside with natural light for the most part, i used the factory flash for a bit of fill and to keep my iso down, my shutter was around 200-250 so i think i was fast enough as she moves but doesn't run, i will see her again and try the micro focus adjust and try again, ill try this time with face detect off, it wasn't a planned shoot, i just took her and momma for a drive and decided to bring the camera, who doesn't right haha. thanx for the tips so far, very helpful thank u

13. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    jeezus dude, i never blamed the camera, i simply asked a question, asking about the reliability of face detect, i have read its about as reliable as focus tracking which is shit, I'm kinda sick of your negative comments, maybe use some manors and do what ur momma taught u, :if u don't have some thing nice to say, keep ur mouth shut:

14. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Helped and found your fps issue and you couldn't be bothered to say thank you
    You FAILED to mention said baby was 22 months old
    And you call me out for manners. Maybe you should learn to provide the relevant information
    Looking back over any number of threads YOU ARE THE NEGATIVE ONE AND THE ONLY PEOPLE YOU THANK SUPPORT YOUR OWN VIEW OF WHATS WRONG.

15. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    my fps issue is far from solved, I've tried 2 cards and still get 9fps on max setting no matter what card, why on earth would i thank people that speak negatively and simply kinda rude, yes i give credit and where credit is due, if some one supports my view on the issue and gives tips of course i would comment thank u as they obviously feel the same way, for ignorant comments i think ill pass on the thank u, but yes u did give some good info on buffer and write times, so thank u for that. :th_salute:

16. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Actually it is solved by just turning off OIS on the 12-100 lens you said you used. Proved and posted. At least test it

17. genesimmons

Feb 12, 2017
    ok i will try that, thank for that info,

18. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    And it's clearly posted in the fps thread.
    For shites and giggles I'm going to put a really old slow SD card in tonight and test once and for all the real impact the card has

• Like Like x 1
  19. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    You can increase fps by using e shutter and/or jpegs. CAF is for birds in flight ,race cars ,track meets and the like. For the fastest fps put the camera on pro capture in the frame rate setting. Also you said you were using flash.Forget it if you are using high frame rate. Also flash is limited by speed of exposure. You can't go faster than 1/250 sec. Use manual.or TV mode, set speed at greater than 160 or you get ghosts from ambient light.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    A little off topic, but I'm actually looking forward to that. I've even ordered Lens Align.

• Like Like x 1