1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How popular was the E-PM1?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, Oct 16, 2012.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I picked up an E-PM1 body on a lark ($179) and I admit I'm really taken with it. I thought I would miss the controls but the SCP makes it all work. I've never been much of a wide angle shooter, but the combo of the E-PM1 and the 14 is so nice to carry that I'm finally beginning to embrace the "wider" world. (You all know how much fun it is when you finally begin to "see" in a new focal length.) Just out of curiosity, I went looking for the relative sales of the E-PM1, E-PL3, and E-P3 but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any idea? I know it doesn't affect my photography, but this is the open discussion section of a photography forum after all. I'm just curious how the market has reacted to the Olympus body choices. Given the new E-PM2 and the E-PL5, I'm guessing well enough.

sone2-L.

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Interesting question, and an issue I'm facing with the two new Pens. I've really liked the lack of mode dial on the EPM1, because there's never a fear of it moving accidentally. Also, one less button to pop off. But I've really grown to love a tilt screen, so I'm stuck between the two!

3. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I think they're pretty popular around here, and as I've seen it, there are two main demos:
    1. P&S upgraders (like myself - those refurb prices are just amazing)
    2. Folks wanting a second body (seems like a perfect fit for those, too, with its tiny size and low price)

I think the $100 price increase on the EPM2 is a mistake, but we'll see how that goes...

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well....
    We see TONS of refurbished Olympus bodies but very few refurbished Panasonics.....

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I admit the E-PM2 is a more tempting camera precisely because the PM1 was so nice to use. We'll see how the street prices shake out.

6. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Could be because Panasonics are still all "new", i.e., unreleased from warehouse. :smile:

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Based on the volume of user feedback, my estimate would be:

E-PM1 > E-P3 > E-PL3.

E-PM1 had price and size on its side. E-P3 had style and features but was more expensive. While plenty of folks liked the E-PL3 tilt screen, on the whole it seems to have received a lot less attentions.

8. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I dont mean to create waves here, but from my limited experience, I'd say Panasonic have the edge on build quality. I see a lot more quality related issues with Olympus cameras reported on the web, though I accept that might be because Olympus shift more units? Closer to home however, my G2 feels much better put together than my EPM1. Maybe its unfair to compare the two given their respective price differences, but even the E-M5 seems to have its fair share of quality related problems?

9. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I bought the EPM1 becuase it was the same sensor as EP3 and I love it
    because the size and I use it with 14mm panny. My EPL1 was good but the
    EPM1 was smaller.( perfect for travelling)

EPL1 and my EPM1 is both keeper. Would have to save up for the new oly
    sensor body.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I recently went to the Disney Animal Kingdom. I didn't want to be swapping lenses so I took only the E-PM1 with the 45-200 and the VF2 on a neck strap. Boy, did that that combo work well. Lots of reach, not too heavy, and the results were great. (I put a shot over in the Birds thread.) The E-PM1 is small but I held it by the lens in the left hand and those 30 years of using a DSLR made it a very natural hold.:smile:

11. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Only other thing is that sometimes I like the controls like the EP3. Thats why
    I will eventually still buy a later body with better external controls.

( I also have Panasonic LX3, Ricoh GRD)

12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK

Yep, I found the same thing. Having the bigger lens to hold on to made it easier to handle. I've also found doing away with the neck strap and using a wrist strap improved the handling when using the pancakes. The neck strap seemed to get in the way when holding such a small combo. I bought the EPM1 as a second body, but also as a camera I could keep in my glovebox, and for that it fits the bill perfectly

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    An extremely valid point. :smile:

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, there was a time when one of the big things Olympus had going for them was build quality. 5 years ago Olympus won lots of converts simply from Canon and Nikon users who would grab an Olympus E-System DSLR and notice how much more solid and well-built everything felt compared to their Canons and Nikons. Especially comparing the consumer-grade, you could really tell the difference. Take those cameras out into rough conditions (ie, wet weather, sand, drops, etc. - and I'm not even talking about the weather sealed models), and you'll see that the difference is more than just feel - their durability is real and not imagined.

However, I've never had more technical problems with a camera as I have since moving to the smallest Pen cameras (though there have been some gems - like the E-PL2 still carries on like a tank). So I could not no longer consider build quality the selling point of the new Olympus cameras (though I would still put my money on an E-5), but I still stick with them due to design and innovation. Sometimes there's more to a purchase than just build.

As for the popularity of the Minis... they've been very popular with me. I have one for each bag (despite the technical difficulties). ;)

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    My overall impression was that the E-PM1 drew some sales away from the E-PL3. Somewhat surprising given the tilt screen. I can't site numbers to demonstrate the point, just the impression I had from watching the forums.

16. elle s'ennuie

elle s'ennuie Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2012
    Europe
    I have the same impression, there was a lot of talk about the E-PM1, very little about the E-PL3 (I have the latter). I guess though that a lot of people didn't find the tilt screen and an extra wheel compelling enough of a justification for the difference in price.

Edit: I was poking around on flickr and came across some stats.

Total number of images uploaded to flickr/avg daily users
    E-PM1 - 323,432 / 51
    E-PL3 - 377,687 / 52
    E-P3 - 1,041,950 / 81
    E-M5 - 899,007 / 353

Flickr: Camera Finder: Olympus

17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I never would have thought of that, even if I were a Flickr user. Nice. Of course, it mostly means that E-P3 users take more pictures. Extrapolating from the "more pictures from the more advanced camera" logic, the similarity in numbers between the E-PL3 and the E-PM1 seems to imply there could be a lot more E-PM1s.

And for my next trick, I'll explain the meaning of the presidential debates.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    For me, what's more compelling about the E-PL3 than the flip-screen is the extra buttons over the E-PM1. Thankfully they addressed that with the E-PM2 and added one more button at least.

19. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I'd love to see the actual monthly sales estimates for each model including the E-M5.