How often do you purchase other photographers digital work...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by tomO2013, Feb 18, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Ok as the thread title mentions....
    Half of the stuff on my wall, is by me in one shape or another, the other half are digital/film prints from other photographers (usually unknown people that I have met who are trying to sell their work at the exhibits etc... ).
    I tend not to buy large prints (wall space being a premium) and also the cost associated with large prints. That is not to say that I don't value or understand why large prints are expensive. I think they justify their costs.
    However I do not differentiate any cost difference between digital or film. I just see both as mediums and the paper prints of both as recording mediums.

That being said ....
    I've a friend who shoots film regularly and is quite militant against digital. He refuses to buy digital prints (which I personally find very sad and somewhat snobby) as he says (I'm quoting here) "I cannot place any value on something that can be copied at the push of a button 1000 times".
    Clearly he has never printed digital images and trying to navigate the quagmire of the modern color accurate workflow, understanding of paper luminance, color saturation etc...
    But it's an opinion that I believe is shared by other people from a visit to a photo gallery during the week. I got chatting with the photographer/owner of the gallery. He was telling me that quite a few people (who he felt were deeply interested in one print or another) would often ask what it had been shot on. When he would say digital they would try and haggle the price down. When he would say film... they would say nothing.

Any opinions? Do you buy other photographers work? Do you differentiate between a film print or a digital print?

Interested in what you guys have to say :)

Tom.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's dumb. You can produce a print from film as many times and as easily as from digital. Most professional film photographers scan their film to digital in any case.

That said, I've never bought a print from another photographer and probably never would. I have more than enough photographs that I've taken that I'd hang on my wall before putting up someone else's.

3. tomO2013

Oct 28, 2013
    Could not agree more with you Ray. It is dumb. And it's something I've argued vehemently.
    I really only mentioned it because I would have liked to think it was an isolated opinion, but it is something that I have unfortunately come across with more than one photographer.

I can understand wanting to showcase your own work on your own wall-space rather than somebody elses, especially when you have more prints than wallspace!
    However... you previously shared with us that you've worked for the Australian press as a press photographer for a number of years. Have you ever dabbled with selling your work to the fine-art market?

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I really don't think that my work would compete. Also, it requires much more effort than I'm willing to put in nowadays. My wife and a friend of hers were keen to sell my prints at local markets, and I said fill your boots and good luck; they still haven't moved on their idea. :)

5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    There are a few local photographers that I make a point purchasing from whenever their art is available through a charity auction. A couple of them I would call friends. I usually buy print and not digital. Half the pleasure is talking with the photographers who took the picture. And there are amazing pictures like these, I have one on the wall behind me, where you are supporting an organization or cause by purchasing a picture. http://www.friendsoftheapostleislands.org/lighthouse-photos.html

6. tomO2013

Oct 28, 2013
    Thank you for your honesty. I'm interested to hear when you say that you buy print and not digital, do you differentiate between a print that came from a digital negative or a print that came from a film negative? I guess that is the root of the what I was talking about.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    As far as I know all of the prints that I have purchased have come from a digital capture.