How often do lenses go on sale?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by oddprime, Feb 14, 2014.

1. oddprime

oddprime New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    Central PA
    Hello all.
    I'm coming to m4/3 from a long history with a Nikon D200 and some spectacular lenses. I had planned on getting the GH3, then that dang GH4 anouncement happened the day before I sold all my Nikon gear. So now I sit here camera less with nothing left to do but try and budget out everything.

The lenses I had planned on getting are the
    Pano 12-35 2.8 $1104
    Pano 35-100 2.8 $1274
    and the Oly 45 1.8 $310.00

My question is, how often do these lenses go on sale?
    What is the likelihood that they will go on sale between now and when the GH4 is released?
    And what is the cheapest prices you have seen on these lenses so when they do go on sale I know when to pounce on them.

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I believe that the 45mm f1.8 is on sale now for $50 of the list price, but many times you'll find it cheaper than that online not on sale. I've never seen it new for less than $300

As far as the zooms go, I believe Panasonic just ran a deal on them if purchased in conjunction with a GX7, but that seems to be over (I seem to remember seeing it on Amazon, but it doesn't appear to be offered now)
  3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    What a coincidence, I'm a D200 user as well! However, my Panasonic gear is a complement to my Nikon setup; it hasn't supplanted it. I think that you'll be very happy with your move. I convinced my father to give up Nikon to replace it with Panasonic, and he's in heaven.

You aren't likely to see sales on the lenses that you mention. The Olympus 45mm is already on sale at the ~$300 price point. The Panasonic lenses are actually below MAP, which is why at B&H, Amazon, etc. you have to "see price in cart." Those are more or less the best prices you're going to get on the lenses, barring any single-weekend specials during the holiday season, but who wants to sit on the sidelines for 10 months when you could be shooting and becoming comfortable with your new camera? If you NEED it cheaper, then buy used, or cut out the GH4. It's improvements seem to be mainly targeted towards filmmakers, and I would argue that for the photographer, its improvements are marginal at best, certainly not worth the $700+ that you'd be paying for it, as the GH3 is currently under $1,000 at the authorized sellers. At the very worst, just buy the GH3, and then if the GH4 goes on sale this holiday, AND it does prove to be a major improvement for photographers as well as videographers, then sell the GH3 and upgrade.
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I see sales on Olympus lenses more than Panasonic, especially the pro lenses. Your best bet with Panasonic is to wait until they have a deal where you get a lens discount when buying a body. Then get the GH4 + the lenses at the same time.

In the case of Olympus, it can be a good idea to keep an eye on their refurbished lenses:

I've seen the 45mm for around $279 there before, though it isn't there right now.
  5. oddprime

oddprime New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    Central PA
    My Nikon set up was a Nikon D200 with Battery Grip, 70-200 VR 2.8, 24-75 2.8, 12-24 f/4, 50 1.8, Lensbaby 3G, and a flash or two put into a LowePro Computrekker AW bag. All of that gear just weighed so dang much that I started not taking my camera with me when we went places because it was so a pain to lug it around. I like to bike (I have both a road and mountain) and I come across some amazing things on my rides and want to take a camera along, but no way am I putting 30lbs worth of gear on my back to do it. I also wanted something to take video with. I've done a couple of things with my iPhone but I'm looking forward to greater creative control and quality.

I'm hopping that a GH3(4) with the two zooms wont be too much additional weight for my rides and wont inhibit on outings near as much.
  6. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Brad – If you go to camelcamelcamel you can track the price history of a lens from Amazon, and that may give you an idea of the range you'll likely see from an authorized reseller (without giving effect to any rebates offered). For example, the 12-35/2.8 has dropped lower than $1,104, but not since the end of 2012. I've found that the prices at Amazon, B&H, etc. are usually pretty consistent.
  7. AndyCr

AndyCr Mu-43 Regular

Nov 10, 2013
    Pembroke Pines, Fl
    Andy Cripps
    Actually it is now... I checked this morning and there was nothing new, was reading this thread and just out of curiosity clicked the link. There it was, in both colours, along with a very tempting price of $560 for the 75mm. That one will have to wait right now though.
  8. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    I generally find lenses I'm after only ever go on sale after I've finally brought them, or spent my budget on something else! If I'm going to get a deal then it will be on something that was previously ruled out as out of my price bracket or hadn't previously considered.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The GH4 is aimed at serious video production so it may be way more than you need if you aren't doing professional video. As others have said get a GH3 and save the money or use it for those lenses. You can always upgrade to a better body in a year or so. Panasonic does do sales leading up to Christmas but they are far fewer and less dramatic than the ones Olympus does. Every now and then there are super lightning deals for Panasonic lenses on Amazon but you have to be checking in every day or more to catch them before they are gone{I always find out about them after the fact!}.
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Lenses are constantly on sale here, eBay, and at Fred Miranda among other sites. Let someone else take the first depreciation. I almost always do and have never been burned.
  11. oddprime

oddprime New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    Central PA
    Thats a pretty good idea, I looked over at FM and found a couple of GH3's for sale for $750-$900 it is tempting to pick up one of those and be able to use for 6mo and then sell it. Probably loose less than I would if i were to rent a GH3 for a weekend.
    For some reason I am more skeptical about lenses than I am about buying bodies though.
  12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Don't be! Seriously, lenses (with the exception of those that are replaced by a newer model) tend to depreciate very little if purchased secondhand. Camera bodies depreciate more or less continuously.
  13. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    If you're not in a rush, wait until Cyber Monday/week in December. There were a lot of amazing deals and I bought several lenses I waited all year to drop in price.
  14. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I've had very good luck buying used lenses on eBay. I think I've bought 6 to date, and they have all been as described except for one that had a few scratches on the focusing ring, but nothing that affects image quality.
  15. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    I wouldnt think about buying used m4/3 in the first place but that is just me coming from buying lots of legacy lenses. From where I see it, if the lens was nice the guy wouldn't have gotten rid of it in the first place, but what would I know...

I would not want to buy a 45 oly to find out weeks/months later it's in need of service, because it is known to have issue regarding build quality, and it's cheap, and it's made in china.

I even bought on purpose my PL 25mm f1.4 and my P7-14mm new because I want to be sure my lenses are new from the factory, and I'm covered by warranty from new.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, and I sure have loads of used manual focus lenses. But when I want autofocus, I want warranty that goes with it.
  16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    An ounce of practical experience trumps 100 pounds of theory. But, hey, stick with your theories. Then there will be one fewer competitor when I'm trying to buy my next lens.
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    In my experience, they tend to go on sale when I need my money for something else. :shakehead: Seriously, I've bought many used lenses and it's a good idea. You could also try a large "all used" place like
    • Like Like x 2
  18. oddprime

oddprime New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    Central PA
    I went with the Used Lens path like so many suggested and Well this all worked out very nicely I must say.
    After attempting to buy a lens on here from a user who was in CA. only to find out that my Credit Card would charge me an additional 3% fee for International Goods, I had to back out on the deal and I feel bad having to do that.

But i did pick up a GH3 and all of the lenses I wanted for alot less than I had plan, leaving me room to buy a GoPro and new Camera Bag if I so desire.
  19. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    Lenses do go on sale from time to time. Olympus pretty much goes from one type of "special discount" to another every other month. Panasonic is not on sale as often - but they do have sales. My suggestion is to buy used or refurb. Also, Olympus has a worldwide warranty so if there is a sale in Canada, the Canadian stores will happily take your money and ship you the product and its under warranty.

Pano 12-35 2.8 $1104 - Why? Get the Oly 12-40mm that has been getting rave reviews. If you buy an Oly body, you can get the 12-40mm for $800 right now.
    Pano 35-100 2.8 $1274 - MZgamers had a few listed on ebay for $1099 or get it used for under $1000
    Oly 45 1.8 $310.00 - Available on sale, refurb, or from Japan for $275. I just checked and you can get a refurb from Olympus for $279

Also, I highly recommend the Oly 75mm. There were some refurbs selling for $600 recently. The 75mm f1.8 is my favorite lens by far (I have the P20, P25, O45, O75, O14-150mm, and P45-200).