How not to use a Leica ...

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Hyubie, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    ... or any other camera, for that matter!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X5IYahsPK2k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 9
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Loved the subtle 'what is wrong with my camera' looks the guy kept having, too funny.

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    A perfect case of "More money than sense". The clue would surely be no visible image on the LCD.

He should send both cameras to me and I will send him an "Idiot proof" compact in return.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Heh, and not even a thought to grab cam2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Haha... come on, you know we've all done it. :rofl:

Having said that, one of the FIRST things I'd check if an image is ALL black is the lens cap... :tongue:

Edit: Not sure how the VF in the Leica works, so maybe it might not show up as all black... in that case, I'd give the guy slightly more slack. :smile:

6. Eon

Eon Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    Sure looks like a rangefinder VF to me, so he's not even noticing the cap is on I think.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Sure, we've all done it...just not with a camera that cost more than my car.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Although I think that little puzzled look he has in between shots is that he's looking at the LCD and seeing no image to review.

9. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    That is HILARIOUS!!!

10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Um.. you guys don't have much history using rangefinders?

Its a common mistake.... and one reason why I don't use caps at all. No the view through the finder does not black out. The meter is also "< * >" style... so the cap would show an underexposure but HOW MUCH of an under exposure is not known.

I'll cut him slack for that...

BUT

The fact that he immediately failed to figure it all out is kinda funny.

PS> its a Leica M6 anodized black with a noctilux 50mm f/1. 1) NO LCD (for you digital folks). 2) No Live view 3) No TTL view... 4) No AutoExposure. If I handed you guys one, I'm almost 100% sure it would happen at least once. Unless your car is fairly used and old, it doesn't cost more than it.

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I was wondering if it was a film camera, couldn't tell with his fingers over the model number. Too funny! Here he is probably using the Nikon all day long, saving his one roll of film for the stanley cup money shots only to fail completely.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Ahhh...it's a film RF...okay I can see dong that. Although now I just feel sad for him.

13. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Awesome

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I wonder what internet forum he belongs to? We should what for his "my film is blank--what went wrong in the development" thread. Of course, it might not be a lens cap, but an X-ray filter. I hope he had X-ray film in the camera.

15. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Slanted film rewind knob gave it away. Size of the shutter knob makes it an M6 TTL (newer version to mine).

M8's profile at that location is a right angle "box" (houses a small LCD display film counter)

M9's profile at that location is a "stair step" (no film counter LCD display)

If you look really closely you can see "LEICA" and "M6" right underneath. They stop doing that afterwards... with simply "M7", "M8", and "M9" in larger font. No "LEICA" script... just the red dot.

16. Eon

Eon Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    Phew, I almost thought I had to go buy a Leica to figure this out... :biggrin:

17. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    lmafo

18. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    You got it right, "usayit". I have an M6 and have done it a few--albeit very few--times myself. No TTL here; but damn I love that camera.

19. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Oh we've all done it. That doesn't make it any less funny though. :biggrin:

One of my most embarrassing times was while doing a ride-along with a police officer and taking my first shot. He looked at me a little skeptical and said "is that cap supposed to be on?". It came out as a question, but I think it was more rhetorical than anything. :redface:

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The difference is that now when you make the film rangefinder mistake some clown is there with the pride of 21st century technology to make a record of your humiliation to enjoy for cyber-eternity.

• Like Like x 1