How much to pay for import tax to order camera from amazon (ship from japan)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by late9sound, Jan 4, 2015.

1. late9sound

late9sound Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2014
    Does anyone know how much do i have to pay for duty/tax/import if i am to buy a camera/lens/kit that cost about $824 from Amazon. Items will be shipped from Japan to USA. Thank you
  2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I have bought many items abroad, and never been asked to pay duty/tax. I think generally, the chance of that happening is very low.
  3. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    depends on the shipper. some are more prone to getting inspection than others.

ive gotten hits on wristwatches from germany. '

forgot the rate. been a while since i lived in usa.
  4. late9sound

late9sound Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2014
    Thank you much for the info. I will put in my order.
  5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    I've gotten a camera body (GM1) from Amazon that was shipped from Japan and I got no notice of taxes or import fees.
  6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    That's been my experience as well. I'm sure the customs guys have the packages sniffed for drugs and radiation but beyond that it cannot be cost-effective for them to assess and attempt collection of tiny amounts of duty.

Amazon may collect sales tax in your state, but that will be on everything you buy directly from Amazon itself (not necessarily from Amazon merchants) regardless of origin.

That said, I'm sure there will be anecdotes where it happened but in my experience it is not the rule. I don't even think about it when buying. My only concern is shipping method/speed/cost.
  7. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

+1. Never had to pay more than what was calculated by Amazon at purchase on items purchased through the "Amazon Marketplace."
  8. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

If only the UK customs would take that approach! Due to the UK camera prices being typically 50% more in some instances a lot of people buy from outside of the EU to try and take advantage of cheaper prices. However, if caught by customs there would be a 25% charge on the value of the goods plus postage, which can run into hundreds of pounds when buying camera gear. I often take the gamble as even if I do need to pay duty and tax and I am still often better off by around 10 to 20% when compared to Amazon pricing.
  9. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I bought my O45 off eBay from Japan and wondered what would happen about import duties as I read somewhere on eBay that I would be subject to pay it. But I was never charged anything and I received the lens very quickly. Normally I buy from B&H though, so I only have the one experience.
  10. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I've ordered cameras, lenses and other stuff from Japan, Korea, China, etc. I've never been asked to pay duty on anything......