How much to charge, license, etc

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Chrisnmn, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey guys,

Im looking for some serious guidance in "how much to charge" for a set of images a clients wants to buy from me.

The story as follows:

I am a graphic designer, illustrator, photographer working right now in a well known advertising agency. In the past 2 years ive been taking quite seriously my photo hobby, and ive been getting published in some local newspapers, contest, etc. So im stoked about it.... and a couple of weeks ago one of our clients here in the agency started looking for some images, and i showed some of mine, long story short they are quite interested in buying them for a national campaign. The client is a big radio station.

I know about licenses, payments and how to charge in terms of designs and solid fixed projects (as prior to my work in agency i was a fulltime freelancer for 4 years), but i dont know how to charge in the photography dept, and how licenses, and royalties work.

Apparently this client wants to buy the images for a nationwide print campaign, plus internet related assets, as well the rights to build their own library of images and use em when they need to.

Is there any advice, recommendations, or links to where i could find more documents, maybe some price ranges and stuff?.

Im not asking you to tell me how much you charge, im looking more like, price ranges, tips and advices since im new to something like this.

Im just looking for some honest insights, and i cant think of a better place than this to do so...honestly.

If someone would like to tell me, but dont feel comfortable by putting it here, please drop me an email to chris [at] nadameansnothing.com any info is more than appreciated.

thanks in advance!.
    Chris.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Can't help you as you already know far more than I do about it, but just wanted to say good luck Chris! Your work is really good and I'm not surprised an opportunity has found its way to you. Hope it works out well for you :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Thanks Jay, i really appreciate your words, as i much appreciate your photos!

Hope everything turns out good. just need some advice, and i know theres a bunch of "pros" around us. hope someone will give some advice!.

4. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Who will own the copyright? I would grant a short-term license to use the images and be careful of copyright theft.

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I would like to keep the copyright. Do you mind explaining a bit more please? Thanks so much already for your reply

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    First thing I would do is get in touch with a lawyer. See if they have a free or discounted first meeting, and lay out what you want, and what you don't want to happen. I have a feeling if they are a big national company, they probably also have lawyers on staff, who will manage to find all the legal holes in something you wrote yourself (or took off the internet). Now if they exploit them or not, may be a different matter, but depending on the amount you are looking to make, it may be a small fee to ensure your work stays your own.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    fotoQuote has been the reference source for this for ages. It will also give you a better idea of what factors go into putting together a quote. I don't know how accurate it may be for your particular market.

8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thanks for the link man. that helps a lot!. :thumbup:

9. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    You can write a contract (maybe even find a simple one online; Google "photo contract conditional" or "restricted" instead.). You can give the client the right to use X, Y, and Z photos for a period of ??? months for the specific purpose of advertising ABC product. Restrict where the photos can be used (you do not want a computer company advertising in a hacker periodical or a billboard for a foreign car in the manufacturing district of Detroit). Specify that photos may not be altered in any way other than resizing to fit the medium, your name, year taken, "Copyright" and the copyright symbol on each photo; add "All Rights Reserved". Emphasize that you retain the copyright and specify reasonably penalties for failure to observe the terms of the contract. The client may not grant any other entity any rights to the "property" (use this as a general identification of the photos, singularly or collectively). There are more clauses that may be suggested by others.

Above all, have an attorney specializing in contracts review the contract and endorse the original draft in writing.

Finally, realize that you can't think of everything; you are taking a chance - and, unless you have registered your copyright on each item, your chances for any recovery of damages are somewhere between slim and none.

https://www.google.com/search?q=photo+use+permission+form&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

• Like Like x 1