1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

How much space does OM-D video take up on a card?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Jul 4, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys,

I'm going to Europe for 3 weeks at the end of this month, and I'm excited about using my OM-D...with its IBIS, I'm sure I'll be doing quite a bit of video...so I'm wondering...how much space does, let's say a 5 minute HD video take up on a card?

I found a great deal ($26) on Sandisk Extreme 32GB cards...I'm thinking of taking about 130 GB worth of cards with me (I want to buy 3 of those, plus the roughly 40GB I already have)...it's probably an insane overkill, but at this price, I might as well...

Thanks,
    T

2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I think it may be variable, but it's right around 50mb/min

3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I shot a 1:06 video the other day, came out to 142mb. Was shot at night though, at high ISO - probably makes a difference.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you. :)

Awesome, thanks! :) You're right, I think for both pics and video, high ISO takes up noticeably more space...even so, that sounds like it'd be around 7 min/GB, giving me a worst-case scenario of close to 4 hours of video per 32 GB card!

Thanks for the input! :)

5. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    The file size is the direct result of video compression, dependent on your scene input.

From some of my videos shot on full HD mode (1920x1080, 29.97 fps), I can tell that OMD uses H.264 MPEG4 AVC, with a profile of High - Level 4.1. For audio it's sowt(uncompressed) PCM 48kHz at 16 bit/sample. Files are stored in Apple Quicktime MOV container format.

For my indoor and outdoor shots, the video size usually sits within the range of 12 Mb/s to 24 Mb/s, that's 1.5 MB/s to 3 MB/s, or 144 MB/min to 288 MB/min (heck, save you the trouble, 6.75 GB/30min to 13.5 GB/30min).

I'd assume shooting at a highly compressible scene (still shot on tripod, heavily over/under-exposed) will drop the size below 1.5 MB/s. It holds true reversely. Shooting a highly random scene the file size should increase slightly.

So, it's better to aim high (more/larger memory cards) if you plan to move around a lot under a well lit sky. Take less if you frequently shoot over or under-exposed :p