How much of your shooting is done with a M4/3?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by slackercruster, Jul 21, 2012.

1. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    How much of your shooting is done with a M4/3?
  2. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Score of this month:

m43 - 2639
    Smartphone - 1 (I took a picture of my m43 camera)
    Canon compact - 0
    Film SLR - 0
    DSLR if I owned one - 0 (used as anchor)
    Leica Rangefinder if I owned one - 0 (sold for charity)

m43 rules!
  3. slackercruster

slackercruster Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    NE US
    Wow...your really blasting away!

I only got about 350 this month on my M4/3

And that was a lot for me.
  4. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    Most of that has to do with finding out what all the settings do, trying out different lenses, practicing manual focus. And with the fact that shooting a PEN is fun ;) Even though I shoot every day I expect my monthly average to move below 500 soon, indeed.
  5. SeveNx7

SeveNx7 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    I pretty much use my M4/3 camera all the time now. My nikon just sits there. I use my iPhone alot for the convenience factor, but for the most part i have my E-PM1 or GH-2 on hand
  6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Very nearly all of it; I still have a Canon G9 but haven't used it in months. The Nikon gear has all been sold (except for one lens) to feed the :43: habit. I've a shirt pocket Panasonic P&S that I probably should unload; since retirement I don't wear suits anymore :thumbup:.

:43: came along at exactly the right time for me.

7. Arminius

Jul 12, 2012
    Germany and England
    I only have my lovely red G3!

8. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    All I have is my trusty, dented and scratched GF1 and a bunch of lenses. I have no need of a bigger or smaller camera. If I replace the GF it will be with a G or GH but that's a year away.

Looking at the figures for camera sales looks like a lot of folks find this is all they need.
  9. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dented and scratched?? Oh, no! Don't you know that everyone here NEVER gets a blemish on any of their camera? :)

Seriously, I consider the GF1 my all-time favorite, even though I've replaced it with presumably better gear. In hindsight, I should have used it longer before getting on the GAS bandwagon. Great choice on your part.
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    About half and half with my NEX. I pick m43 when I want AF, and the NEX when I want to have a bit of fun and take it more slowly.
  11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    All of it - sold all of my Canon gear. :biggrin:
  12. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The GF1 is perfect for here

I looked at the GF1 when I was still back in the US and it was still $800 or so. It seemed like it would look close enough to a point & shoot not to attract attention on the street here (I've only seen three DSLRs in Nicaraguan hands), yet would have better image quality and interchangeable lenses. After settling in here, I bought a used one with the 14-45mm lens for $400 from B&H and sold off my point and shoot. My other camera is a Xperia X10 mini cell phone camera, which is the first cell phone camera I've had that takes reasonably decent pictures and which also looks like a cheap small phone. I'm not taking as many pictures with that now, either.

When I sold the Nikon D300 back in the States, my thoughts on picking up the Think Tank bag with the various lenses was that "wow, I'm not going to have to lug that around any more."
  13. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Before OM-D purchase: 300 pics/month
    70% iPhone4
    20% GF1
    10% Sony HX-1

Since OM-D purchase 2 months ago: 2000pics/month
    60% OM-D
    5% iPhone4
    20% GF1
    15% Sony HX-1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada

Yesterday I took a snap with my cellphone so I could text a picture of a printed display to a colleague. I had to re-take it once 'cause I didn't get it right in the first shot, so that brought my average down twice as much.
  15. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    About 85 to 90 percent I'd guess. I have a couple of film cameras I still shoot black and white in, mostly because in the day I was a good darkroom technician, so I'm reluctant to give up what I know entirely. But digital is more convenient, cheaper (no film or chemistry to buy), and it's hard these days to argue with the results, even in black and white. Since getting my E-M5 I've pretty much retired the E-510 that I was using mostly for birding and shooting insects with the Zuiko 70-300.

As much as I like my micro 4/3 gear, though, I'd love to get a Leica M (I have a screwmount IIIb) and to return to 4x5 large format, a process that gives me considerable enjoyment. But the E-M5 is pretty much with me all the time.
  16. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    :43: came along at exactly the right time for me.

Same for me, I'm retired on a fixed income and the ability to go thrift store shopping for inexpensive great lenses and get good results made digital photography fun and affordable.
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm mainly shooting with my X100. I'm keeping my m43 system for tele and macro shooting, but have been flirting with ditching it.
  18. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I'm with 43hk, My GF1 battle axe rocks the spot!
  19. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Maybe around 25% with a Canon G1X, and the balance with Micro 4/3. The usage of the Canon will vary depending on what kind of shooting I am doing. I don't use smaller p&s cameras anymore, don't really like phone cameras, and finished with DSLRs earlier this year.
  20. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I'd say I'm around 60% Micro Four Thirds, 40% 35mm film these days. If the circumstances are right (appropriate subject, lots of natural light) I'll reach for my film SLR first.