How much of EM1mk2 will trickle to next generation EM5/EM10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hazwing, Sep 24, 2016.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I know the EM1 mk2 has only just been announced and not even released yet. However there seems to be some interesting features and improvements from the current cameras.

I currently have an EM1, partly because I got it at a great price... I do like the extra buttons, however I do prefer the size of the EM5 (or smaller) and having the ability to add a grip only if I need it.

I'd love to see some of that technology trickle down to the next generation of EM5 or EM10. However, Olympus needs to be careful, because if too much moves into the lower model cameras, it might devalue the EM1 mk2. What would you like to see get added to the next generation EM5 or EM10? Next question... realistically what do you think will ACTUALLY go into the next EM5/EM10? How will they differentiate the various OMD models?

I'd like to see improved CAF/CAF+tracking trickle into the lower model cameras. The (supposed) improved sensor with better DR and noise. I'm not sure if they will introduce that all to the lower models, otherwise the EM1 loses some of it's flagship flare. However if they don't introduce these features, they face competition from other mirrorless brand competitors.
  2. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Rob Campbell
    if previous versions are any indication, I think the sensor will stay in the EM1 and next generation cameras will probably inherit what's in the PEN-F. People say they're different sensors and the EM1 is the only camera in the lineup that does phase detect AF. The PEN-F, while better, than the prior 16MP sensors, isn't a full stop better in DR, I don't think, but I haven't played with RAW files from that to do a direct comparison.

I think we'll see improvements in EM5 and EM10 autofocus, but it won't have the same accuracy and speed as the EM1 because they won't have those cross type AF points. Shooting speed I think will remain a little slower than the EM1, but will be improved. Especially in the EM5mk3.

I expect we'll see a version of 4k in the next EM5. Maybe a better one than will be in the EM1 at that time.

I don't expect to see an improved EM5 for at least a couple of years. The last one was 3 years until release. It was 3 years until the EM1mk2 came out. Seems like a pattern to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I disagree -- I think a lot will trickle down. At this point, Panasonic has begun putting most of its latest and greatest features in its mid-tier cameras (G85/GX85), and I think Olympus will have to do the same.

I expect the E-M5 iii to get better autofocus (not sure if it'll get PDAF, but possibly), get the 4k video, and get a better sensor. And I think it'll come out in late 2017, perhaps ahead of schedule, because the G85 is so good that the E-M5 iii can't be held back.

The advantages of the E-M1 ii will continue to be the ergonomics, the dual SD slots, the battery life, the build quality, the continuous shooting speed, etc. It'll be the camera for people who might take a thousand pictures in a day and who make their money doing so.

Just my thoughts. But I really have no idea.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    @kingduct@kingduct i pray you are right. And that they release it with articulated screen instead of swivel screen.