How much is OM-D better than GH-1 in terms of DR and autofocus on moving subject?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by New Daddy, Aug 12, 2012.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I love my first generation Pannys, but the two areas that I would like to see improvement in my next u4/3 are dynamic range and autofocus on moving subject.

So, how much is OM-D better than GH-1 in terms of (1) DR and (2) autofocus on moving subject? I'm considering whether the improvement is worth the extra $$$.
  2. smartwombat

smartwombat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    OM-D E-M5 is far better.
    I shot with the E-M5 at Laguna Seca and was able to follow cars through the corkscrew in C-AF or C-AF [TR] mode as long as I ignored the instructions in tha manual :)
    Half-pressing the shutter didn't work well, I set to AF priority (no shutter release without AF) and then pre-focussed on the wire fence at the top of the corkscrew to give the AF less hunting time. Then when the car appeared panned, mashed the shutter and fired off a burst.
    For single shot again I ignored the manual, man with the car in the AF point then mash the shutter and let the camera do it's amazing fast one shot AF.

The battery ran out and I had to go to the GH-1, I hated it. Even with the same Panny 45-200 or 100-300 lens I'd been using on the OM-D it was worse.
    Only 3 shots in a RAW burst, only 2 shots a second at best, and horribly long blanking time in the EVF while shooting a burst.

Not sure about the DR but the low light noise handling is far better.
  3. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    The OM-D has the highest Dynamic Range of any m4/3 camera to date. Couldn't find a comparison of the two side by side, but I do know that is the case.
  4. smartwombat

smartwombat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Here's an example, one shot and a 4-shot burst.

Attached Files:

5. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Were you using 4fps or 9fps? If 9fps then it doesn't do continuous focus anyways.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The GH1 is the closest that you will get in another Micro 4/3 camera to matching the DR of the E-M5, although it will still fall some way short of the Olympus.