How much is it worth

Bermuda

Mu-43 Regular
hey ppl :) I have been offered this setup

Canon AE-1 Camera - (Needs Work)
Braun Flash
Drexel Tripod
Canon Zoom lens FL 85-300mm (Needs Cleaning)
Canon Lens FL 200mm (Needs Cleaning)
Unomat LX GKF Zoom Video Lamp (Still Boxed)

just would like to know any idea what it is all worth?

SRHEdD

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
No offense, but stay away. If the Canon shutter squeals or needs work, you'll be paying more to fix it than it is worth. I don't mean this to sound harsh, but look elsewhere, the market is flooded with GOOD cheap gear, what you've listed just isn't in that category. The only exception is if you want one of the lenses for some particular reason, like you already have Canon film gear, or want Canon legacy glass for adapting to m4/3. Someone correct me, but I'm just not seeing anything positive to that lot.

Real Name
Nic
"Needs work" on the camera body could mean a lot of things, but even in mint condition an AE-1 isn't really a collectible. If you want a Canon film SLR of that vintage I would go for an AE-1 Program or A-1 instead. The squeaky shutter (or more correctly the mirror, I think?) that Srhedd mentions is very common in the A-series Canons. I don't see a lot of value in the lenses or other accessories either. I personally would give it a miss, and putting a dollar value on it is difficult.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
The AE-1 being among the early electronic models, there's a shortage of supply to repair them and the electronic is now very old and prone to failure. Don't accept anything less than perfect, unless you need an original paperweight.

Cheers,

Bermuda

Mu-43 Regular
See this is why i REALLY REALLY LIKE this forum, skips out the BS and tells it how it is. :)
As suggested i will walk away from this kit.( not really sure why i was going to buy it)

Thanks for all the info once again.

qball

Mu-43 Regular
I can fix the canon squeal in about 2 minutes with a screw driver and a fine-needle oiler. Take the bottom cover over and you gotta know the "right" place to insert the needle and stick a few drops of oil in.

I have a 100% success rate on any A-body Canon.

To answer his question... $40 for the camera body (in complete working condition)... and maybe $40-$50 for everything else.

$75 is fair in today's market, if all working, cleaned, no haze or fungus and fully functional.

Latest threads

Top Bottom