How much better is the E-M5 sensor compared to the G3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by colbycheese, Apr 22, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So i currently use the G3 and i was wondering how much better is the sensor in the E-M5? My main question is, how much better is the E-M5 at high iso (say 3200)?
    Thanks

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think there was a noticeable jump in IQ going between those two sensors for me. I noticed it more with dynamic range and color at high ISO (not necessarily noise). I think this, along with the IBIS in the E-M5, would make for a nice upgrade.

3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    very tempting for me. I think i am gonna build my lens collection up a bit first. How much can you get an E-M5 for these days?

4. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Right now the black EM5 is on offer at Amazon, for $680. You can get them used between $500 and $600. The deals offered in this forum are generally pretty good.

Noise-wise, all of the 16MP sensors are pretty good. The one in the EM5 is better than the G3's, but only by about 1/3 of a stop. Where you'll notice more of a difference is in the dynamic range, as the EM-5 has about two stops advantage at base ISO.

I also have a G3, and am tempted to make the same upgrade to the EM-5, but only after fleshing out my lens line-up! :biggrin:

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The difference is not huge, perhaps half a stop or so at ISO3200. The bigger difference is dynamic range at base ISO.

Go look at the DPR review for the E-M5, in their studio comparison section you can directly compare the G3 and E-M5 for yourself at any ISO in both JPEG and RAW.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.