1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

How much better is the E-M5 sensor compared to the G3

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by colbycheese, Apr 22, 2014.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    So i currently use the G3 and i was wondering how much better is the sensor in the E-M5? My main question is, how much better is the E-M5 at high iso (say 3200)?
    Thanks

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think there was a noticeable jump in IQ going between those two sensors for me. I noticed it more with dynamic range and color at high ISO (not necessarily noise). I think this, along with the IBIS in the E-M5, would make for a nice upgrade.

3. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    very tempting for me. I think i am gonna build my lens collection up a bit first. How much can you get an E-M5 for these days?

4. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Right now the black EM5 is on offer at Amazon, for $680. You can get them used between $500 and $600. The deals offered in this forum are generally pretty good.

Noise-wise, all of the 16MP sensors are pretty good. The one in the EM5 is better than the G3's, but only by about 1/3 of a stop. Where you'll notice more of a difference is in the dynamic range, as the EM-5 has about two stops advantage at base ISO.

I also have a G3, and am tempted to make the same upgrade to the EM-5, but only after fleshing out my lens line-up! :biggrin:

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The difference is not huge, perhaps half a stop or so at ISO3200. The bigger difference is dynamic range at base ISO.

Go look at the DPR review for the E-M5, in their studio comparison section you can directly compare the G3 and E-M5 for yourself at any ISO in both JPEG and RAW.